Chapter 7: Let Me Forget

Havana's body rolled to her back feeling the soft mattress under her

Havana's body rolled to her back feeling the soft mattress under her. She groaned as her eyes fluttered open. She had a dream of him. She hadn't had one those in months. Though it wasn't just a dream, it was another long-suppressed memory.

During her first couple of months here in Mystic Falls, every night turned into complex sleepless ones as her mind was constantly plagued by memories while she slept. The unwanted feelings that also came with those memories made her twist and turn on her bed. It was too painful to remember-to relive on and on until she either woke up in tears or stared blankly at the ceiling until the sun arose. During the day, Havana was constantly reminded of him by everything in her sight; flowers, cars, laugher, joy...It was also hard for her to stay awake. Havana would slap herself awake afraid of what she would relive next if her eyes decided to rest.

She grew desperate and started drinking more to cope with her broken heart. She loved drinking (it came along with her profession and hobby; bartending) but never did she expect herself to fall into the miserably painful road of alcoholism. It made her forget and feel numb from all that hurt she was experiencing. Every swing she took from a bottle kept her from remembering him and his 'I love you's'. But it never lasts, soon the memories are brought back by the emotions that are no longer concealed by her drunken mind. This was why she drank more and more until the days went by as quickly as she ends up on her bedroom floor by nightfall. And like a usual drunk, she had lost track of time, often waking up in the middle of the afternoon or in the evening when everyone was already asleep to get another bitter refill. She had lost almost three months of her life being like that.

It deeply bothered her cousin seeing their once wildly spontaneous cousin fade into depression and alcoholism. So they (together with their friends) hosted an intervention for Havana who broke down in tears and told them her story. Surprisingly, Havana felt the weight lift off her shoulders as she opened up to her cousins and strangers who always hang out with Jeremy and Elena. She decided to stop pitying herself after that and started being herself again. She became a part of this weird little supernatural family where gained new close friends, two new girlfriends, and a sassy best friend who also became her drinking buddy. Havana didn't drink as much as before and started living again.

Until last night.

After her, Damon, Stefan, and Elena came back from wherever the hell they were, Havana ran straight to her room and locked her door before anyone came up to check on her. She was breathing heavily, hot tears ran down her cheeks. She had managed to stay silent during the whole car ride in fear that her cousin and close friends might see her actually jump out of the window. Havana swallowed a big lump in her throat feeling a familiar thirst in her throat. She walked slowly towards her wooden liquor cabinet while debating in her mind whether it was worth it to endure all this stress again. Biting her lip nervously, she starred at the bottle in her hands. Havana was about to put it back but replaying Elijah's confession again in her mind made her stop.