Post-It: Dare or Lose

by EvelynHail

The characters, first off, are amazing. Their interactions are very sweet and real, and I hope they continue to develop as the story goes on. Imogen and Nathan are it. I love them both, and when they're together in a scene, everything explodes.

The opening was very unique, in my opinion. I don't often see a text message opening a story? I was slightly skeptical, but the author did it very well and it fit the story quite well. 

Thank you for the good grammar and punctuation. I think hardly anything drives me as crazy as bad grammar in a story. 

I really love the story idea, and the way it is presented. It's very comfortable with existing, yet written in a tense enough way to keep the reader's attention. Fantastic.

----

My one thing is the opening. Not the opening lines, which were perfect, but the amount of info we get in the opening. It's soooo slow, nothing is happening it feels. 

The thing is, not everyone on here will be deterred by a slow opening because it's an amateur writing site, and people aren't spending money to keep reading most books. But I feel like an opening that is tweaked to only include what is necessary for that opening will draw in more readers and feel more professional. Other things can be included later. 

The purpose of the opening is to introduce while revealing the inciting incident that gets the plot going. Yes, we do get that in the opening chapter of this story, but it's way after a ton of interactions with other characters and thinking about Nathan and other things. I just don't feel like it's necessary? 

I don't know, I might be wrong, but that is what I have to say ;)

Time Stamp: 2-9-21