The Labyrinth

by charlie_pozzi_777

I don't like to shove a book into a comparison with another, but it's natural in some ways, especially when the "another" is an iconic book for a lot of people.

If you love Percy Jackson, particularly the later books when it got a bit darker, you will love this.

It is it's own story, but the vibes are all there

so..... calling all Greek mythology nerds, this is our nitch.

The characters are developed very well from the beginning. The author puts a lot of effort into building each one. I was afraid at first that I would never get all of them straight or remember their names, but every time we got to spend a chapter with one of them, I got to know them perfectly.

Needless to say, I adore every one of the little stinkers. No one is allowed to hurt them, dO YoU UNDERstANd???

The setting is wonderful, and the setup for the story is so genius. Minos sending kids into the labyrinth to die? I love it. And again, I am so here for the Greek mythologyness.

AND THE REFERENCES TO THE MYTHOLOGY!!!! lsbvhsogir;klnfm so wonderful <3

Here are my thingsss:

🗡Small one first --- Tina says in her first chapter "'I was asking how I could talk about the prophesy and of your death if I have little.... speech ....problems.'" (chapter 3, way near the bottom)

My confusion about this is that she never shows speech problems in the next few chapters. In fact, when the characters are discussing the prophesy, she doesn't have any trouble verbally explaining. Her sentences might be short, she doesn't talk a ton, but when she does I am not seeing any struggle.

🗡I mentioned earlier that I loved the development of the characters, however there is so much development that it feels like the story is being put on hold until we can understand each character completely. Yes, things are happening, but it doesn't feel like we're moving along a specific and intentional plot.

There are several things happening: the murder mystery, how to get out of the labyrinth, and a few other mysteries and side plots. But I don't feel like any of them are the main one? If the hero killing Minos is the main plot, it feels lost in the varrying importance of the other plots.

SO, there is a way you can have the main plot develop from "not priority" to "main priority" but the small plots need to be presented as urgent enough to drive the story along as the main plot develops. 

If one of our little group of wonderful characters is a murderer, the characters don't seem tense enough about it. They still maintain a level of trust with each other while also distrusting in some scenes and it's confusing.

I think the story is absolutely wonderful. All it needs is a bit more clarity.

Time Stamp: 12-11-20