Nightmares ~ Kanera

Caleb Dume sprinted through the tall trees, blasterfire echoing behind them. "Run, Caleb!" shouted Master Depa Billaba as she gestured for her Padawan to follow her to the caves where they could escape the clones. 

"Wait, Master!" Caleb begged, his legs aching from the running. Depa stopped for a moment as she quickly helped her young apprentice keep moving. 

Blasterfire was getting closer and closer to him and his master. Soon, the white armor of the clones was seen, the blue blasts lighting up the forest as they got closer and closer. "Caleb, run!" Depa yelled as she stepped in front of the boy, igniting her lightsaber with a snap-hiss. 

"But Master-" Caleb protested, igniting his own blue saber. Depa deflected some of the blasts, but the sheer number of the Republic troopers overwhelmed her. 

The next few moments passed by in what seemed like slow motion. A clone trooper aimed his pistol and fired. The bolt of bright blue light landed directly in Billaba's stomach. She collapsed to the forest floor, her lightsaber falling out of her hand and extinguishing. 

Caleb bit back a scream as a tear rolled down his cheek. "Run," whispered Depa. "Run."

Kanan Jarrus shot up in his bed, breathing heavily. Even as he awakened from the dream, his master's voice danced in the air. "Run."

It was no use fighting the nightmares anymore. They had been happening ever since that day. The day when the blasters that the clones used to aid the Jedi turned on their generals and commanders, wiping out almost all of the Jedi Order. The day the Empire rose. 

Kanan rubbed his eyes open and got out of his bed on the Ghost. It was impossible to sleep right now. The nightmare had been more vivid than most, most likely because of his own apprentice, Ezra Bridger. 

The Jedi walked into the designated "lounge" area for the Ghost crew. He sat down in the small booth-like seating and glumly rested his head on his hands as he tried to forget about the nightmares that bombarded him every night, and sometimes during the day. 

He heard a loud clang and looked up to see Hera come down from the Phantom. "Hello, dear," Hera said, sitting down next to him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he muttered, looking away. 

"Kanan, I've known you for years. I know when something's up," Hera said seriously, gently tilting his head towards hers. 

"I've been having the same nightmares again, but they're feeling more real. Like they're trying to tell me something. I think it's about Ezra," Kana admitted to the Twi'lek as she rested her green hand on his. 

"Kanan, love, it's okay to be afraid," she said gently. 

"But what if I'm not the right master for Ezra? What if it's telling me that I shouldn't teach him, or that I'm not teaching him enough, or that I'm going to fail him?" he said, panicking. 

"Listen to me, Kanan," Hera said. "You are not going to fail Ezra. You are a perfect master for that boy- the only one who can teach him."

Kanan smiled and pulled Hera close to him, kissing her forehead. "Thank you," he whispered. 

"Any time, dear," Hera replied, clearly exhausted. 

Kanan knew she would never remember this, so he whispered, "I love you."

Her mumbled answer shocked him. "I love you too."

A/N: So.... my first Kanera. I might do more of these later on, if you liked it. I know this is supposed to be Clone Wars, but I decided that I might add some Rebels in, if you want. 

-EmeraldMoon