11- Lexi (Historical)

TW:
-Mentions of death
-No plot whatsoever

Alexander silently slid into his seat, his head low, staring at the smooth wood.

Today was February 19th.

And it hurt to think about this day, so he tried to keep it out of his mind whenever possible.

But lying on his bed in the middle of the night.....

It always crept up.

Long ago, he had given up on waking Eliza and sobbing into her shoulder. It never helped anyone, and besides, she'd never understand.

"Hamilton!" Alexander jumped and looked up, brushing a lock of bright orange hair out of his face. He hadn't bothered with a wig and powder that day.

"Y-yes, your Excellency?" He asked.

"What did I just say?" Washington asked.

"I.. uh... I don't know, s-sir." Alexander sheepishly replied.

Washington narrowed his eyes. "Pay better attention in the future, Hamilton."

"Understood, sir." Washington nodded.

"As I was saying," Washington stole a glance at Hamilton, "In 1776, Thomas Paine wrote a pamphlet, Common Sense. As we know, it riled some up for the fast approaching Revolutionary War. While it some found it appealing, others found it disturbing.

"The topic of debate for the 19tg of February, 1789 is wether Common Sense contributed to the American cause in a positive or negative way. Secretary Hamilton, you have the floor."

(Just go with the topic I couldn't think of anything better :/ )

"O-oh.... Sure, Mr. President." Alexander stood up and walked towards the center of the room, swallowing hard. "I think that-"

February 19th.

"Common Sense benefited the states because-"

January 10th.

"It helped rally citizens to stand up an fight-"

One day before his birthday.

"And even if others dispised it-"

He only spent a month with his mother after turning 12.

"Common Sense still sparked something in every single person who read it, a burning flame that couldn't be extinguished, no matter how hard the British tried."

The room exploded into applause, and Alexander could've sworn he saw a glimmer of pride in Washingtons eyes.

The applause died down and the candles placed on walls and tables went out, leaving the room dark. There were shouts of confusion and the sound of chairs scraping on the ground echoed in the dark.

Alexander let out a small gasp. He had never fancied the dark much, it reminded him of that night. The candles had gone out with his mother, and no one had come to light them. A shiver ran down his spine at the memory.

Suddenly, light burst into the room- the candles had relit by themselves. Cabinet members began to calm down after the return of light, even if the whole ordeal was a bit spooky.

Everything seemed to go back to normal until someone noticed the shimmering figure in the doorway.

James Madison gave a yell of horror and stumbled, falling across the table he was leaning on.