24- Memorial Day (Modern)

While I am confining myself to my room bc I have the begining of a mild cold, I present to you angst with almost no context.

You're welcome.

🇺🇲

Alexander stood in the warm May air, taking in the beauty of the flag-filled cemetery. It was memorial day, and graves were littered with flowers, flags, pictures of the dead in military uniforms, etc.

Alex felt something warm take his hand. He looked over his shoulder to see his wife, Eliza. "Ready?" She asked, flashing him a bittersweet smile.

Alex cleared his throat. "Yes. Yes, let's go." Alex took a step forward, entering the cemetery.

He fell back into silence as he followed the well worn path to a small clearing surrounded by trees. Two figures were already standing near the lone gravestone, huddled together.

Alex approached the serene field and smiled sadly. "Hey Laf. Herc."

"Bonjour." Laf responded with a small wave. "Dad will be here soon, and so will the Burrs."

"Great." Alex acknowleged, little to no emotion in his voice. The birds chirped and the gang silenced, almost peaceful in the still air.

Not long after, the others began to arrive. First came Aaron Burr and his family, then came George and Martha Washington.

George solomoy walked up the hill and handed Alex a large wreath. Alex nodded his thanks, blinking back tears.

Once everyone had arrived, Alex cleared his throat and began to speak. "We are gathered here today," he began, "to honor and mourn our dear friend, John Laurens. John died three years ago on the 27th of August, after seven years in service of his country. He was sadly killed in action, but will forever love on in our hearts.

"John was an amazing son, brother, father, husband, and friend. He brought joy to all who knew him. He will be missed by all who were touched by his kindness, love, leadership, and joy. Rest in peace."

With that, Alex took a step forward and gently placed the wreath on John's grave. He stood still for a few seconds, a tear sliding down his face. Alex then turned to stand next to Eliza once again and watched the others solomly place flags and flowers around the grave.

Eliza grabbed Alex's hand, placing something soft in his open hand. Alex looked down, then tearfully smiled at the object.

Alex approached the grave once more and squatted to place the toy in the middle of the flowers. Alex stood up and turned, saying goodbye to his friends and walked back down the hill, not looking back.

As the night grew darker, the small gathering dispersed and there lay a small green toy turtle holding a miniture sketch pad.

John Laurens
Born Oct. 28, 1980
Killed in Action Aug. 27, 2015
Loving friend, son, and father
He will be missed.

~

Not my best work, I'm sick today Soo...

Also my family doesn't exactly celebrate memorial day or anything, so that's why it sounds more like a funeral.

Sorry it's short