23- Don't Leave Me (Modern)

"Alex!" Martha called.

"Yeah?" Alex called back.

"Can you come downstairs? We want to talk with you!" Alex ran down the stairs, excitement bubbling up. The Washington's had adopted Alex's foster brother a few days ago, maybe it was his turn!

Alex's excitement dissapeared as he entered the living room, facing George and Martha Washington, and their son, Lafayette, their black faces giving them a hollow look, their eyes holding what seemed to be... Joy?

"W-what's going on?" Alex asked.

"Sit-down, boy!" George snapped. Alex flinched, George never talked to him like that.

However, Alex obeyed, and sat. "Was it something I did wrong?"

"No." Alex let out a sigh of relief

"But," Martha spoke up. "As you know, we just adopted Lafayette."

"Y-yes?"

"And we would like to adopt you as well, but-" Alex gulped. When "but" entered the conversation, it was never a good sign.

"But... What?" Alex whispered.

George opened his mouth once again to speak. "We've come to a realization that two boys are much too hard to take care of. Not only that, but you tend to be the problem child."

"And you are the most expensive," Martha piped in.

"And do you have any clue how needy you are?!?" Washington finished. Alex could only stare in shock.

"They had to pick one child, petit lion, and they picked moi." Lafayette smugly said.

"What it's come to, Alexander, is the fact that we don't love you anymore." All three said simultaneously, their eyes glaring unblinkingly into his eyes.

Tears burned in Alex's eyes. He couldn't believe what he had heard. He wouldn't believe it... It wasn't true!

"We don't love you anymore." The words circled around in his brain. Over and over.

"We. Don't. Love. You. Anymore."

The figures of Alex's ex-family circled around the sobbing boy, whispering the phrase as the room becan to change, dumping him back in the orphanage where he watched his younger self bullied relentlessly. Alex screamed and whirled around as he felt someone touch his back. He looked up to see his biological father.

James grinned wickedly. "We don't love you. No body does. Nobody loves you, Alexander Hamilton."

~

Alexander woke with a start and sat up in bed, fat tears running down his face.

Alex's limbs were tangled up in the bedsheets and Alex couldn't help but feel trapped as he struggled. He tried to figure out where he was, but he was too overcome from the nightmare to think straight.

The only thing he could do was call for Washington. Dad. It felt so right and he couldn't stop it until after it came out.

"DA!" Alex screamed, sobbing. "DA!! DADDY!!"

Alex heard a door slam and heavy footsteps quickly approaching his room. The door swung open and the light suddenly glared down at the boy.

"Alexander!?" Washington called, out of breath. Alex could see his fearful expression through his tears.

"Daddy..." Alex whimpered, struggling to free his arms. Washington moved towards the bed and sat down, gently undoing the sheets tightly wrapped around the boys small body.