18- Dites-Moi (Modern)

Lafayette loved to play the piano.

He would play it when he was angry to calm down. He would play it when he was sad and needed to cheer himself up. He played whenever he could.

Except, no one knew of his hidden talent.

When friends came over and saw his piano proudly standing in the giant living room, they would assume it was his wife's because, "men don't play the piano", according to his family.

The truth is, the piano was his pride and joy, his everything. Aside from his friends and family, of course. But no one except Adrienne knew how he could play almost as good as Mozart and Bach. And how he was one of the best singers she knew.

But no one else knew. The truth is, Lafayette was a closeted pianist.

🌹

"Stupid Washington..." Lafayette growled, fumbling with his keys to get the door open. "Stupid keys-"

Lafayette loved his adoptive father, but in the work place they were merely employee and employer- nothing less, nothing more.

And this employer dad of his just had to have to audacity to give him paper and paper to review and edit- by next Monday!

Lafayette was, obviously, irritated at the timing of this work as today was his 27th birthday and Washington had known that the French man did not want to work on his birthday. At least he had let them all out early, Lafayette thought.

Still fuming, Laf slammed the front door shut and threw his briefcase onto the counter, noticing a bit from his wife telling him that she wouldn't be home until later.

Laf sighed. He could really use some company right then. Laf picked up a few grapes and made his way to the grand piano in a smaller side room connected to the kitchen.

It felt peaceful, sitting on the bench like that. Finishing his grapes, Laf set his fingers on the well-worn keys and exhaled gently. Everything was going to be fine.

Then, almost reverently, he began to play, eventually singing along in his first language.

(Lmoa I couldn't find a male cover -_-
Just play the song-)

"Dites-moi
Pourquoi
La vie est belle,
Dies-moi
Pourquoi
La vie est gai

"Dites-moi
Pourquoi,
Chere Mad'moiselle,
Est-ce que
Parce que
Vous m'aimez?

"Dites-moi
Pourquoi,
Chere Mad'moiselle,
Est-ce que
Parce que
Vous m'aimez?

"Tell me why
The sky is filled with music,
Tell me why
We fly on clouds above
Can it be
That we
Can fly to music
Just because,
Just because
We're in love?"

Soft clapping and a whistle or two sounded from behind him as he finished his song. Whipping around, Lafayette's face flushed in embarrassment at the sight of his friends and family who had, appearently, heard him singing and playing. Now a lot more than one person knew his secret.

"I didn't know you could play or sing like that!" Alexander Hamilton, his adopted brother, spoke up.

"I-I can explain-" Laf stuttered, eyes wide.

"There's no need to explain, son. That was beautiful." Washington spoke up. Here, he could be Lafayette's father instead of his boss.

A chorus of agreement followed his words. Lafayette's gaze swept over his friends. Hercules Mulligan, John Laurens, the Schuylar sisters, Theodoshia, heck, even Burr was there! And if course, he can't forget his mom and dad, Martha and George Washington.

"Oh and, babe?" Adrian softly said.

"Y-yeah?" He nervously responded.

Peggy pulled him off the piano bench and into the kitchen where decorations, treats, and presents lay.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" Everyone -except him- yelled.

Lafayette grinned widely. Perhaps today wasn't so bad after all.

🌹

Laf's actual birthday is September 6th and today is April 9th-

Eh-