31- Son (modern)

Basically Alex and Gwash get into a fight but Alex ends up comforting Gwash

Angst with a happy ending

(Washingdad and Hamilson)

TW-
-Mentions of death
-car crash

~~~

Washington clutched the picture, staring at his family. Him, Martha, Lucy, and Joseph.

They were a happy family, until today- five years ago.

He and Martha had always dreamed of having children, but the dream was never reality, until one day Martha announced she was pregnant.

George was overjoyed when she gave birth to two beautiful babies, a girl and a boy.

Lucy and Joseph Washington.

They were only five when it happened. George was driving home from a doctor's appointment and decided to pick up his children at kindergarten.

He swing buy and they got into the car, happily chatting about their day. George received a text from Martha that she needed to be picked up as well, so George came.

All four of them were sitting in the car at a red light. The twins were blabbering and he and Martha had been talking about a highschool George wanted to teach at when the light turned green. George drove out and was in the middle of the road, like he was supposed to do, when a semi truck came speeding down the road, ramming into the left side of the car.

George remembered the impact was so powerful it flipped his car so it was upside down.

He faintly remembers the light turning red again and a second car didn't stop in time, hitting the passenger side.

George remembered feeling numb as he held Martha's hand, unable to do anything with his now broken leg, arm, and bleeding head, but praying the kids were alright.

Then the ambulance came and pulled George out if the car and put him on a stretcher. He remembers being shut away and waking up at the hospital.

He desperately needed to see his wife and kids, but the hospital informed him that Lucy, sitting on left, had been killed on impact, and Joseph had died of his injuries a few hours after his sister.

Washington was broken out of his very depressing internal monologue by the door to his classroom opened.

"Mr. Washington?" George looked up at the new voice- Alexander Hamilton. His favorite student, and his unofficial adopted child, though Alex didn't need to know that.

George quickly wiped away the tears forming in his eyes. "Alexander? What can I help you with?"

Alex fully entered the classroom and made his way to George's desk.

"I'm a little confused with what we did in class." He said, pulling up a chair.

"What part of class?"

"You know, independent clauses, dependent clauses, fanboys, coordinating conjunctions. The usual." Alex laughed dryly.

George chuckled, fondly shaking his head. "Well, let's see what you were confused on."

~~~

A half hour later and Alex was slowly getting the hang of it. George was very impressed and secretly proud of him.

Unexpectedly, Alex reached out and grabbed a picture frame from George's desk. George payed it no mind -it was a picture of him and Martha on their wedding day, nothing he hadn't seen on his desk before.

There was a silence and George looked up.

"Is this... your family?"

George hummed. "Me and Martha. January 6, 2000."

Alex nodded, but was still staring  at the picture. "Who are they?" Alex asked, turning the picture around.

George's eyes widened as he looked at the two toddlers on the picture. He felt his breathing speed up as he looked away. He had meant to put that back in his desk, where no one could find it.

"No one." George bowed his head and continued to grade some papers. "It's not important."

"You look so happy." Alex touched the glass. "It looks like this was taken recently."

George looked up. "Give me the picture." Alex shook his head. "Son, give me the picture."

"No- I wasn't to know who they are!"

"Son-"

"Not your son!"

George took a deep breath before extending his hand. "The picture."

"Are they your children?"

George's breath hitched. "Give me the picture!" George almost yelled, fighting back tears. "Now, son!"

"Alex finally slammed the picture on the desk, facedown, shattering the glass.

George gasped, memories flooding his head. The semitruck, Martha screaming, Joseph's sobs, the still form of Lucy, still smiling about her spelling bee.

"-ington?" Mr. Washington?!?" Alex called. George stared at him blankly.

"Are you okay?"

George reached up and realized he was crying.

"L-Lucy and Joseph." George chocked out. "Car c-crash. Lucy was killed on impact."

George paused for a second to wipe away the tears. "Joseph... died... of his wounds a few ho-ours aft-after."

George's throat closed up as he cried harder. He barely noticed Alex awkwardly coming up to him and patting his back, letting him cry.

As soon as he calmed down, George pulled Alex into a hug. "If Joseph was... If he was still alive... I think he'd be like you."

"Really?" Alex asked.

"Yeah." George pulled back, resting his hands on Alex's shoulders. "He would."

Alex looked down at the ground. "Is that why..?"

George nodded. "That's why I call you son. I know you're not him, but I still think of you as a son."

Alex smiled. "I... I think if you as my dad, too. I mean, my dad left when I was 10."

George frowned- the poor kid. He had known his mother had died, but his father left?

"I know there's no replacing what we've lost, but maybe...?"

George smiled. "Joseph and Lucy are still alive in my heart- and in you, son."

"I know, ..... dad." Alex hesitantly said, warming George's heart.

"Now, let's finish that worksheet."

Alex laughed. "Alright!"

~~~~

Ugh I'm so tired hope you enjoyed