38- hawthorn bushes [historical] (lams)

Requested by a good friend of mine, historicfics_101! (I know circuses and disinfectant supplies weren't exactly a thing during this time period but it fit what I wanted to do so yeah)

TW
-mentions of blood

~

Alexander Hamilton and John Laurens had only began to secretly court each other two months ago, often cuddling late at night in their tent, sharing a cot when it got cold, and exchanging short, sweet kisses whenever they could.

Both men knew it was against the law, but neither cared. Obviously, ever story must have a beggining, and this is how theirs started.

---

The morning was a bit chilly, but Alexander was warm. Sitting on his horse, Peacock, he had wrapped himself in both his and John's waistcoat, watching with half-closed eyes and the man in question climbed onto his own horse- an appaloosa horse with the name 'Apple'.

Grunting, John settled himself in the saddle then turned to Alexander, a wide smile on his usually stoic face. "You ready?" He asked.

Alexander nodded, grabbing the reins of his own bay horse with a smile of his own. "Yup. The river?"

"Of course, my dear heart." John confirmed, flashing Alexander yet another smile that made his heart turn over and his stomach do summersaults.

The two took off into a canter, reaching the edge of the forest easily. Once they were past the treeline, they slowed to a trot, just enjoying each other's company.

It was still early morning, around 7 o'clock if Alexander had to guess. The sun was just barely above the horizon, bathing the forest in an array of colors as golden light streamed through the tree cover.

Shades of golds and greens dappled the forest floor as well as the two men riding peacefully. Alexander could hear the landscape waking up and he smiled, listening to John's rambling blend into the woodland around them, birds chirping, wind rustling the leaves, the scent of spring flowers filling his nose.

Alexander watched as John rode under a gap in the leaves and sunlight lit up his features. Grinning so wide it hurt, Alexander took the opportunity to study his crush's features. He took in the dirty blonde hair, dazzling blue eyes that turned green when the light hit them just right, his strong jawline and rounded chin with the smallest hint of facial hair decorating the underside of his cupid's bow lips. In total, Alexander thought that John was utterly georgous.

John's loud laughter brought Alexander out of his thoughts and he looked back at John to see him attempting to balance on his horse, standing in his stirrups, his bottom 6 inches of the saddle at least.

"Alex!" John shouted, grinning from ear to ear. The one thing that could make John even more beautiful, Alexander thought, was when a rare, truly joyful smile slipped onto John's face. "Alex look!"

Alexander let out a loud barking laugh as he watched John attempt to climb onto his saddle- as in standing on the saddle.

"Lexi, look, I'm a circus performer!" John wobbled a bit, making Alexander laugh. John, however, caught himself and steadied his movements, his knees slightly bent and his arms splayed out like an eagle's wings. John giggled and looked up at Alexander, a childish glint in his eyes and a lopsided grin splattered across his face.

"Presenting, John Laurens, on horseback!" Alexander finished, grinning broadly.

John slowly straightened his posture and tried to take a bow but was unsuccessful as he promptly tumbled off of his horse's back with a shrill shriek of laughter.