35- Military Family (historical) [hamliza]

Alex is an orphan- everyone he's related to has died. But love, like always, is what brings a little extra joy to Alex's wedding.

THIS IS GOING TO BE SHORT- IF IT'S NOT IMMA YEET/DEFENESTRATE MYSELF OUT OF A WINDOW- (yes, I'll do a flip)

~~~

Alexander Hamilton stood at the alter, staring out at the crowd. The room was filled with many chairs, set up in two distinct sections. Alex remembered the reason with a pang of sadness. One side- the one filled with friends and family- was the side for Elizabeth Schuyler's family. His soon-to-be wife.

His side of the room had... he could count on one hand how many people were there. Yup, that's right. The only person who had shown up in the past half hour was Hercules Mulligan, an Irish tailor who was Alex's first friend in America.

But that was it. Hercules waved slightly and Alex smiled, resigning himself to his fate that no one else would show up. Fifteen minutes later, the Schuyler side was completely packed. Meanwhile, the Hamilton side now had a grand total of three people. Oliver Scott Williams and Charlie Enderton. Alex wasn't super close with either of them, but he was grateful for the support of his friends.

Alex was broken out of his thoughts by the wedding march beginning to play. Alex stood at attention, waiting for his bride and, the door slowly opened. People began to stand in anticipation for the bride, but instead, it was someone else. He was tall, broad-shouldered, and dressed in a generals uniform.

Standing in the doorway was none other than George Washington.

He stood, looking around awkwardly as the music began to die down.

"I apologize for my tardiness, something came up. I also apologize for I am not the bride, as you can see." The audience chuckled. "The bride is behind me, and I will find my seat now. Continue."

Alex stared at the general as he made his way to the front of the room, taking a seat next to Hercules Mulligan. Some people began to talk in hushed whispers as more men in matching uniforms flooded into the room. A nation wide celebrity had just crashed a wedding, and now it seemed the entire continental army had shown up.

Alex, however, was close to tears. He looked up to Washington as a father, but he never expected the man to show up at his wedding. Washington caught his gaze and gave Alex a supportive smile. Alex weakly smiled back, wiping his eyes. Eventually, everyone had found their seats- Alex was shocked at how many men there were. Most of them, Alex didn't recognize but quite a few of them he did. Among those recognizable were John Laurens and the Marquis de Lafayette. Even Aaron Burr was there, though he looked slightly uncomfortable, to say the least.

By now the Hamilton side was finally filled. It wasn't as crowded as the Schuyler side, but it was close, filling Alex's heart with joy.

The wedding march began to play again and finally, Elizabeth Schuyler walked out with her father. To say she was stunning was the understatement of the year.

Alex stared at her, his mind failing to work as she took his hands. He was getting married. To Elizabeth Schuyler.

~~

The ceremony was beautiful and when they had said their vows, they kissed with so much passion it put Cupid to shame.

The two walked back down the isle together, hand in hand, greeting the audience.

The newlyweds made it outside, were the reception would be held. Friends of family soon emerged from the house and Alex searched the ground for Washington -he wasn't hard to spot, his sheer height alone made him stand out. When he saw Washington, he told Eliza he'd be back in a few minutes.

Alex suddenly broke into a run and threw himself into Washington's open arms. Alex closed his eyes, tears falling as Washington wrapped his strong arms around Alex.

"Look, d-dad.." Alex started, unsure of how Washington would react to Alex calling him dad. When no reaction occured except for Washington's hug tightening, Alex continued. "Dad, I got married. I'm married dad, I have a wife-"

Alex heard a small sniffle from Washington. He looked up to see 'the mighty Washington'™ in tears.

"I-i know son. I know. And I'm so, so, so proud of you." Washington let out a choked sob.

"Thank you for coming." Alex whispered.

Washington nodded. "I love you so much, Alexander."

Alex smiled softly, rubbing at his teary eyes. "I love you to, dad."

The two embraced again, both crying, as people looked at the duo in shock and awe.

~~

It was only years later, that Alex finally realized. When Washington had walked into the room to see Alex at the alter- the only way to describe how Washington looked at him, was with pride. He was proud of his son, so, so, so very proud that his boy was growing uo- and that he was able to whitness his son take one of the biggest steps, no, leaps to becoming the man he is now.

Washington couldn't be happier, a d neither could Alex.

It was well-known that Washington referred to his aides as his 'military family', but Alex had never truly realized how deep that bond went.

~~

Including both A/Ns, 909 words.

*cries*

I love this-