Chapter 1

Boom

Boom

Boom

I stirred around in my bed.

Boom

Boom

Was I dreaming that obnoxious noise?

Boom

Nope.

Boom

Boom

Boom

Ugh, what the fuck? I dared to open my eyes and peek at the clock to find it was well past midnight.

Who the fu-

Boom

Boom

"Okay! Okay!" I called out. Forcing the warm blankets off of me, I was barely able to lug my body to the front door of my house. "You better not be a damn murderer or I'm going to be pissed!" I peeked through the peephole and found an overjoyed best friend on the other side. Was she out of her mind? I opened the door meeting her face to face.

"Gina?" I asked, still half asleep.

"Oh my God, Skyler! You'll never believe what happened to me tonight." She bounced her way inside my house, moving quickly past me. Her dark hair disappeared into the shadows of my hallway before I watched her flip on my lights.

"Okay then," I uttered to myself.

I shut the door, following her into the living room where she was now kicking off her shoes making herself comfortable.

"Is everything alright?" I asked. I knew by her excitement that everything was more than alright, but still, it was unlike her to make a late-night house call on a Sunday night with no warning. I took a seat down next to her on one of my couches, waiting to hear what had her borderline bursting at the seams.

Without responding with words, she instead stuck her left hand out in front of my face and wiggled her fingers around.

I had to rub my eyes to focus on what she was trying to tell me. Her hand? What a new nail polish? I mean the ruby color did contrast against her tan olive skin beautifully. Or was she referring to her shiny ring?

A ring!

"Wait..." I said, then grabbed her hand in mine, bringing the ring closer for me to examine. The diamond was huge and sitting on her ring finger no less. Of course, now it all clicked. "You got engaged?" I dared to ask. My eyes were wide, mouth half hung open.

"No, I came all the way here in the middle of the night to show you a ring I bought myself," she spat sarcastically.

Brushing her comment off, I asked, "How did this happen? It was Jace, right?" Obviously, it was him, but my mind was still groggy and trying to keep up.

Gina laughed. "Of course, it was Jace! He did it while we were on our date tonight!" She was glowing from the inside out. Her eyes drifted off as if reliving that moment again.

Slowly but surely, I started to process everything that was happening, and the news finally sunk in. One of my best friends was getting married. The first one actually. My chest started to swell up with joy for her. "Gina, I'm so happy for you two!"

"Thanks. I still honestly can't believe it," she began. "I mean we've only been together for a year and we've never even talked about marriage. I just –" she tried finding the words, glowing. "I'm just so happy! I love him so much!"

"Well as your best friend, he's had my stamp of approval for a while now, so I'm more than excited for you both."

Her eyes got sappy, appreciating my comment. "That means everything to me," she cooed before her eyes lit up again. "You know what this means, don't you?"