Chapter 26

The next day, Austin insisted I stay at his house. Which I easily obliged to. I wasn't kidding when I said his house was like a resort. I may as well have been on vacation staying here with him.

Plus, after checking in with Gina, she still seemed to have a handle on the current wedding planning list. She was mostly just excited for the bachelorette party coming up next weekend.

The morning after our movie theater romp, I did insist we play on the mini-golf course.

"I haven't played in a while," Austin confessed. "I guess it'd be good to put it to use again."

"Oh, we will!" I beamed. "And be warned. Gina and I spent many birthdays at Boomers growing up and mini-golf was our favorite, so prepare to lose out there."

He raised his brow, challenging me. Shortly after, he'd told me to get ready and meet him out in the backyard. Which I did, and I was ready to kick his ass.

I stepped outside expecting to see him, but he wasn't there. I noted the weather was perfect for our activity. Warmth from the sun was lightly beating down. Not a cloud in sight. Seeing his backyard in the day was nothing in comparison to what it was at night. Somehow, it looked bigger, more lavish.

The backdoor opened, and I turned around and half choked on my spit. I stifled a laugh when I found Austin walking towards me, dressed like Tiger Woods. He had a grey argyle sweater vest on over his white t-shirt, Bermuda length tan shorts, and a black flat cap hat.

"Wow," I said, covering my mouth. "Are you trying to intimidate me with that outfit on?"

"Maybe," he said smugly. "Is it working?"

I had to bit my tongue. "There aren't words to describe what that outfit is doing to me." A small giggle escaped. "And as much as I want to ask you why you have that outfit readily available, I also don't." I took in the sight of him for a moment longer, shaking my head. "Let's just go play, shall we?"

He grabbed my hand and led me to an area where he had golf clubs and balls set aside. We each picked one and headed to the first hole. Austin insisted I go first.

Taking the whole game seriously, I examined the path from where I was to the hole and calculated each option. Then, taking my stance, I brought back the putter and hit the ball with perfect force. It shot down, hitting off a side wall aiming it down the narrow pathway I needed it to, and with a prayer, it sped over the small mound and then straight down into the hole.

"Ahh!" I screamed and jumped up and down. "That's a hole in one," I said to him, with a hair flip. "Just in case you'd never seen one before."

"Ha!" he barked. "Move aside. I'll show you just how easy this first hole is. Nothing to brag about."

Intently, I watched him prep himself, and then he took his shot. He approached it slightly different, but I'll be damned...he got a hole in one.

"Piece of cake," he jabbed. He saw the smile get wiped off my face and he ate it up. Little did he know this was war.

Hole by hole, Austin and I battled between being tied and each taking a small lead in front of the other. At one point, Austin took out a cigarette and smoke it out of stress from the game. When it came down to the last hole, we were tied and this was the make-or-break moment. I had taken my shot and gotten another hole in one. As much as I wanted to celebrate, I needed to stay calm because if Austin got one too then it'd just be a tied game.

He stepped up, placing his ball down, getting ready to take his shot. I watched him mentally calculate his shot, and I swore a bead of sweat dripped down his brow. Just then, he swung back and hit the ball and time slowed. It was on the perfect track of getting a hole in one, but just as it was lining up with the hole, it was like it hit a divot in the ground and veered it off, just barely missing it. Then it came to stop just inches from the hole.