Chapter 2

"Wow, Cole, you look incredible," I stated, marveling at him. Cole was so visibly attractive that it almost seemed hard for him to impress me. But tonight, seeing him dressed in black pants, a white button-up and a black bow tie had me at a near loss for words. He even trimmed his hair which helped each strand stay perfectly in place.

Cole rolled his eyes modestly. "Standing next to you in that dress," he trailed as he eyed me from head to toe. "Makes me look like I'm not even trying."

I wanted to mirror his modesty but part of me was feeling pretty confident in the outfit I was wearing. When Gina and I went shopping Thursday, I had picked out a dress opposite to her white, sequined mini dress. Mine was similar in the mini aspect, but it was black and more revealing thanks to the plunging neckline aspect of it. I even had to use tape near my breast to keep the dress in place to avoid any possible flashing incidences.

Now standing here with Cole outside of the venue where Gina and Jace were having their party, I couldn't lie. We looked good. Our outfits went perfectly together.

"Thanks again, for meeting me here," I said taking a step closer to him.

Cole dropped his gaze down to me, admiring my dress once more. "Wasn't like I expected you to ask me to pick you up like a gentleman."

I ran my hands up along his chest until they wrapped around his neck. "Trust me, I know if I asked, you'd have come and got me. I was already running late getting ready as it is. It was quicker for us to just meet here."

Cole tried his best not to roll his eyes. "Excuses, excuses," he muttered. I was ready to do my usual please don't be mad at me look but he cut me off. "Although I will admit I am pleasantly surprised and happy you invited me here tonight."

At first, when I called Cole to invite him, I was half near regretting it after we hung up. Instead, I kept trying to remind myself it was just another date. Just like all our other dates. Except this date included meeting my best friend. Not a big deal.

"I'm happy too," I admitted. Now being here and seeing him, I truly was happy he was here. "Plus, Gina has been bugging me to meet you, so at least she'll shut up now." I laughed earning a laugh from him too. Things still felt light and easy between us, and for a moment I wondered what I was so afraid of when inviting him here to begin with.

The mood shifted between us with his eyes becoming hooded. I leaned into him, and his arms wrapped tighter around my waist as he leaned down to where his lips brushed against mine. He teased me with them before pressing down more firmly. Neither of us tried deepening the kiss but instead kept it simple, yet soft.

I pulled away first. "We should go inside before I get fired as the maid of honor. I told Gina I'd help with anything and everything."

He nodded holding out his arm for me to take. "Wouldn't make a good first impression on me either if she found out I was keeping you away from the party."

I smirked and began to lead us inside.

Walking up the small set of stairs, the doors were propped open with music already echoing from outside the walls. We made a turn and stepped inside where everyone was at. The venue was incredible. I'd never been here before, but Gina did a great job at picking a place big enough to host the hundreds of people that filled the room. My eyes wandered and found there were engagement photos of Gina and Jace posted around the venue, and I couldn't imagine how much she paid for a rush job like that.

Waiters were making their way through the crowds offering finger foods even though in the center of the room was a huge circle of buffet tables. I scanned the room looking for Gina, but it seemed impossible with how many people were here.