Chapter 21

Sometime after, I awoke with the feeling of arms wrapping around me. In my half-conscious state, I assumed it was Austin. His body pressed up behind me, warming my skin as he spooned me. Soft kisses began trailing up my neck sending a chill down the length of my body. At first, the sensation mixed with my dreamy state had me leaning into it mindlessly. Each delicate kiss he pressed into my skin had me clenching my legs together. He reached his arm down in between them and a moan escaped my lips.

He leaned into my ear, moving his fingers against me outside of my tiny pajama shorts. "I'm sorry I'm so late," he whispered.

And then just like that, all my earlier annoyance came flooding back. My eyes sprang open and I pushed myself up just enough to see the clock. It was three am! I turned around to look at Austin. He'd changed down to nothing but boxers exposing all his tattoos. I had to force myself not to get distracted by them. He looked exhausted, but I dismissed it.

There were so many things I wanted to say but ultimately bit them back. "It's fine," I said laying back down. "You should get some sleep." I turned back around, gently shrugging his arm off me. I closed my eyes, already hating the absence of it.

He didn't respond at first or try to move toward me. "What about that bikini?" I could hear the effort of playfulness in his voice, but I didn't have it in me to give into now.

"I'm tired. I'm sure you're tired too. Seeing as it's three in the morning." My voice was clipped, unable to keep it at bay. "Let's just get some sleep. Please."

"I told you I was sorry," he whispered from behind me. "I didn't expect to get back so late."

"I know. And I told you it's fine. I'm just really tired."

He let out a frustrated sigh. "How the hell did I know you were going to be pissed?"

It took every ounce in me not to turn around and completely lose my shit on him. No. I wouldn't stoop to that. I'd let him wallow in this then lose my shit tomorrow. Plus, the house was too quiet that I'm sure Bruce would come barging in wondering what was going on. Now was not the time.

I closed my eyes and had no idea if Austin decided to let it go and fall or asleep or what. But right as I was calming down internally, I felt his arm slide back around me and his body press up against mine. I didn't push him off or say anything snarky but instead, let us lay like that.

And I'd never admit it, but the moment he held me, I drifted off to sleep effortlessly.

The smell of food made me stir in bed. Whatever it was smelled delicious, and had me eager to break my eyes lids apart to see where it was coming from. In a sleepy haze, my mind wondered if the chefs in the kitchen were already hard at work.

The sun from outside was already shining rays of light into the bedroom, making it bright. I blinked a few times adjusting to it before rolling over to find Austin sitting at the edge of the bed with a tray of food.