Chapter 28

In the distance, I heard footsteps. Normally, I'd be alarmed, but I was half asleep and buried under all my blankets in a state that was too dulled out to care. The footsteps got closer, and I almost thought maybe I was just dreaming them.

I heard a familiar voice that muttered, "Good, God." Gergana? "When was the last time you cleaned up in here?"

Okay, maybe this wasn't a dream. I clawed the blankets off of me and shied away from the sunlight shining in through my window. What time was it? Why was she here? I combed the rat's nest that was my hair out of my face and found her looking at me with deep concern. Her jaw half-opened.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Sky, what's going on?" she asked tentatively, taking in the scene before her. My room was, in fact, a mess, although, I hardly remember how it got into such a state.

"I think the better question is, what are you doing here?" I asked.

She looked at me even more confused. "We made plans. We were supposed to hang out last Thursday but you canceled, and then canceled again, and then said we'd hang out today instead. I tried texting you an hour ago that I was coming over."

Last Thursday? "What day is it?" I asked.

"Jesus. It's Wednesday! Are you on drugs?" She eyed me now with more panic.

"Oh...I must've forgot," I admitted. Wow. Had it really been a week since Austin and I technically broke up? It seemed logical. I'd been dodging phone calls or any type of social activity for days.

"Seriously, I'm getting worried. What happened?" she ordered, coming to sit on the edge of my bed. "Your place is a wreck, your hair is a mess, and by the sounds of it you have, Need You Now by Lady A on repeat."

I was about to tell her she was being dramatic when in fact, Need You Now restarted in the background. Dammit, I forgot I had been listening to it over and over again before passing out last night.

There was no point in denying anything. "Your point?"

"Something is obviously going on. First, you dodging me, then Gina telling me that you told her you were sick, yet you never mentioned that." Her eyes did another once over on me trying to figure it out. "I haven't seen a scene like this since I broke up with,"

then she realized. "Wait...something happened with you and Austin, didn't it?"

I remained quiet.

Her face fell into a state of worry, now beginning to understand my downhill state more clearly. "Oh shit. Just tell me!"

Ugh! "Okay, fine," I admitted, hating talking about this. "Maybe something might have happened. Not that it matters."

"Just tell me this." She took a steely breath. "Do I need to kill him? As much as I am your guys' number one supporter, if he hurt you, I'll rip his heart straight out of his chest."

Finding the strength, I pushed myself up into a sitting position with a sigh. "You don't need to go murdering anyone, don't worry."

"Good." She looked relieved. "So, what happened? Clearly, it was something since I've never seen you like this...like ever."

I had noticed that about myself too. No man, ever, had gotten me to this low point before. I may as well bite the bullet and just tell her. Who knows, it might make me feel better to have someone to talk to about it. Lord knew I needed it. I carefully recounted the trip to Monterey to her, and then how we spent days together at this house, and then how it all went downhill after seeing his ex and the things he said to me. Which to my relief, she did not take lightly. Her teeth ground when I recounted his words.