Chapter 35

Austin drove me by a Starbucks that morning since I was barely able to keep my eyelids open. I was so tired I couldn't even find amusement or irritation from the girl who stumbled on her words when she saw it was him that she was giving a drink to.

"Coffee help at all?" he asked as we pulled up to Piper's office building.

"Too soon to tell honestly." I smirked, taking another sip. "We'll see if I'm able to function coherently in there."

He stopped in front, putting the car in park. I cautiously looked around for any prying cameras or eyes but didn't see any. The building was pretty well secured.

"What time should I pick you up?" he asked.

I looked back at him with a shrug. "I'm not sure. Usually, these things can take an hour or two. How long will your visit to the studio be?"

"However long I want it to be," he said. I was still suspicious there was no studio but again, left it alone. "Just text me when you're ready. I won't be too far."

"Okay." I went to lean in to kiss him, but paused and sat back. I had almost forgotten we were in public. There wasn't a ton of people outside, and the ones that were were walking along not noticing us but still. People were horrible gossips regardless. Plus, it just seemed so coupley to kiss him goodbye like this. I didn't know if it was crossing a line. "Sorry."

He smirked looking around and leaned in to grab my face before pressing his lips to mine. His lips were soft like last night, and I shuddered gently in my skin. The kiss was quick thankfully, or else I'd be a little hot and bothered going into my meeting and that'd be awkward.

"I'll see you in a bit," he said.

I nodded smiling like an idiot as I got out of the car. Smoothing out my skirt, I made sure each button on my blouse was buttoned. Maybe it was silly to be worried about my appearance when Piper was a friend, but this was work and I'd always take it seriously. The path that led to the building was beautiful. Colorful flowers sprouting on both sides of where I walked. The floral smells helped wake me up as I took another long swig of my coffee. I reached the front door and was immediately met by a receptionist.

"Hi, I'm here to meet Piper," I said kindly.

Her hair was pulled back into a tight bun and she gave me a silent nod before picking up her phone and dialing a number.

"Yes, there's a Miss.," she paused looking at me.

"Skyler Underlynn."

"A Skyler Underlynn. Mhm. Okay." She hung up, looking back at me. Even with the stamp of approval that I was supposed to be here, there was still no softening towards me. Perhaps she just had a bland personality. "She's ready for you. Here is a visitors' badge." She rummaged through her desk pulling out a badge with a lanyard attached.

I graciously took it and put it on feeling official.

"Just go through that hall." She pointed to my right. "You'll see an elevator. Take it to floor two. She'll be the first door on the left."

"Great! Thank you!" I said a little too cheerful, but I didn't care, I was excited.

I followed her directions as she said and found Piper's door. I saw that it was already propped open, so I gently opened it the rest of the way. Piper was sitting at a large round table by herself. She had a laptop opened in front of her and a folder full of papers.

She glanced up at me, her eyes lighting up. "Skyler! Come sit!"

I took a seat across from her setting down my stuff. My eyes swept past the room finding different promo art hung around from the tv show. "I can't begin to tell you how flattered I am you called me for this."