Chapter 15

Once Gergana left, I plopped myself on the couch. These last few days had been exhausting. I was almost missing my isolated days of just me and my laptop working on my latest writing project. At least the only drama I encountered then was fictional.

Maybe a little writing wouldn't hurt. Maybe even be therapeutic like before. I quickly busted out my laptop and decided to change it up and go outside in my backyard and get some fresh air. The sun was shining brightly, but not so much that it was unbearable thanks to the cool breeze flowing by. I went over to my gazebo where I had a large table set up for entertaining guests even though I never had more than one or two people over. I sat on the plush chair and got myself settled in.

Rather than trying to write anything substantial, I decided to look up some writing exercises and work on those instead. Something fun and easy to do that'd decompress my mind after everything that'd been going on.

I was working diligently, having got pretty into the prompt I chose, when I heard my phone ringing from inside the house. It took a moment to tear myself away from my laptop and ran back inside to grab it. When I looked at the screen, I saw it was Gina.

"Hey, pretty lady!" I said.

She giggled. "Hey, what's my maid of honor up to?"

"Just relaxing. I feel like I'm still recovering from the party the other night," I confessed. "What about you?"

"It's late here so not much. I just decided to try and plan the next wedding tasks that I can tick off the list to prep for my day tomorrow."

"The fun never ends."

She huffed. "You're telling me."

"Does this phone call mean you have my next assignment for me?"

"Maybe," she drew out. "It's a fun one this time though! I promise. You'll love it."

"Lay it on me."

"I have been talking to a caterer and have been going over menu items. There are a few things I am back and forth on and to help me decide, I need you to go do a tasting for me and pick."

"Done deal!" I said not needing to hear another word.

She groaned. "You have no idea how much I wish I could be a part of this one. Any excuse to eat food and I'm there. Especially when it's for my own wedding but well, can't do that when you're on the other side of the world!"

"That means I must bear this burden for us both," I said dramatically.

"You and Austin of course."

The mention of his name made my heart skip. It was like I had PTSD from my earlier convo with Gergana. Calm down, she doesn't suspect anything!

"Oh yeah, did you tell him already or did Jace?" I asked.

"No not yet, but I will," she said. "The caterer asked for a couple of days so I told him you two could make it down Wednesday. If that works for you both."

"Works for me."

"Perfect! I'll be anxiously awaiting your call afterward. I want to know all about it. The way he was describing the food, I was almost drooling. Ugh, you're in for such a treat."

I could only imagine how delicious this was going to be. "I cannot wait!"

"Be right there!" she called out and I realized she wasn't talking to me. "Jace is cutting me off of wedding stuff for the night so I better go. I'll text you the address to where you'll be doing the food tasting tomorrow."

"Sounds good."

We hung up and I set my phone down checking the time. Somehow it was already creeping into the evening and the day was quickly fading. I decided to wrap up my little writing activity and call it. I waltzed back into my house, deciding to change and watch tv. There were a few shows I knew I needed to catch up on.