Chapter 9

Not long after Austin left yesterday the news was all over the internet about how music technician, Bryce Graham, had died in a car accident. I knew right away that this was Austin's friend. I felt gutted as I read the article knowing that he didn't make it. I couldn't imagine what Austin had to be feeling. It was terrible.

I hadn't heard from Austin. Not like he usually talked to me or anything, but I don't know, there was obviously something changing between us, even if it was meaningless. The way he left yesterday had me worried. So worried in fact that I tried texting him today just to see how he was doing.

He never replied. Not that I blamed him.

He was grieving.

At some point, I had to get off social media and not think about it.

Needing to keep my mind preoccupied, I spent the majority of the day writing instead. I hadn't sat down to write in a while since I was giving myself a break, but I knew it was still my best therapy. I'd allowed myself to get lost in a writing prompt nearly the entire day, and just as I expected, it helped me relax immensely.

It wasn't until later that night that I got a call from Gina. Jace was just as upset as Austin was by the news. She told me about how they had all been close at one point. Even if they weren't as much now, it hurt Jace just as much.

"I still can't believe it," Gina said. "Jace broke down earlier today. I don't know how to help him. I hate it."

To my surprise, I knew how she felt. It's how I felt with Austin when he was here. The pain in his eyes still haunted me. I knew I had no right to try and be there for him in that way. I probably shouldn't have even texted him earlier, but I couldn't help it. Even though we were still new to this "friends" thing I couldn't let him think I was heartless by not even trying to make sure he was alright.

I hate that I had to keep it all to myself too. I couldn't tell Gina any of this or she'd wonder why Austin was at my house to begin with.

"Please tell Jace I'm thinking of him," I told her. I hesitated a moment but asked, "Has he talked to Austin at all? Does he know if he's doing okay?" My hands were a little shaky with nerves from asking.

Thankfully Gina didn't think anything of it. "Yeah, they were on the phone earlier. Doesn't seem like Austin is doing any better. I heard Jace tell him that he wants us to fly out in the next couple of days instead. He wants to see their friend's family and give them the proper condolences and maybe even do something to honor him."

I hated that part of me was excited Gina would be coming out earlier. It was under horrible circumstances, but I felt like I needed her. Even though I couldn't exactly talk to her about what I wanted to.

"It'll be nice to have you guys out here. I'm sure Austin would feel better having Jace out here with him too," I added.

Gina sighed. "Yeah, once we have our flight planned out, I'll let you know. We definitely still need to plan a get together too while we're out there."

"Agreed."

Not long after, we said our goodbyes, leaving me to drag myself to my room and force my eyes closed.

Three days had passed and I still hadn't heard from Austin. I felt like an idiot for checking my phone hoping he'd respond to let me know he was okay. As a friend, I couldn't help but worry.

Thankfully today was the day Gina was coming to town and I'd be able to see her. I needed my best friend.

It was nearly noon when she texted me that her flight had landed. She promised to come over tonight since Jace had plans to meet up with Austin and some other friends. They were getting together to honor their friend as they'd wanted. That little bit at least had me feeling better.