Chapter 36

"What do people wear to galas?" I asked.

Austin was on his phone, tapping away when he paused to look over at me. "People get pretty dressed up. Why? Should I have someone run out and get you a dress?"

"No. I'm sure I have something at home that I can whip up." My eyes drifted off thinking. My lips pursed. "I should probably run by there."

"Don't be ridiculous, I'll have one of my assistants run and grab you some options." He began tapping away at his phone again, and I hoped he wasn't already putting in the request.

"I don't know. It just seems a bit much." I bit my lip. "I don't need you paying someone to do my own shopping."

"Why?" He shook his head. "More time I get with you."

Way to butter me up. I dared to lean in a fraction closer to him. "Does that mean I get to kiss you now?"

That look from yesterday returned to Austin's face. "I don't know. I kind of like watching you squirm."

"Austin, don't you dare," I warned.

"What?"

Unbelievable. It was set in his features; he was going to continue this little game. I should've pounced on him and just taken what I wanted. No. That'd be too easy for him. He'd only become that much smugger. He wanted to play this game, then we'll play. Little did he know, this time around, I was going to play the game too.

"Fine," I said, crossing my arms. "If that's the game you want to play then let's do it. You think you can sit here and hold out, well then so can I. I'll play dirty if I have to to make sure you are the one making a move on me instead. Remember that."

His brows raised surprised by my remark.

"And on that note, I really should go home. I'll need more than a dress. I'll need my makeup and my curling iron," I prattled.

"Enough with that shit," he grumbled, moving past my prior threat. "I'm going to make some calls. You keep your ass here. I'll spend my money how I want." His fingers once again got to tapping.

Fine.

I let Austin win this battle because he was going to lose the war. The war of me getting him to cave. I doubted it'd be hard.

Throughout the day, Austin proved he had a resilience I'd yet to see

Throughout the day, Austin proved he had a resilience I'd yet to see. It was annoying and so unlike him. I'd never tell him, but it was also pissing me off.

Time and time again, I tried tempting him. Small touches on his leg here. Small presses of my body there. I even tried pretending to drop the remote and bent over right in front of him to pick it up.

Nothing.

It was a blow to the ego for a moment, but I knew Austin was having fun that's why, but I wouldn't back down.