Chapter 8

The rest of the concert was less – intense, even though something had definitely shifted between us. It was hard to explain. We both moved differently around each other, and each time our eyes caught, we both looked away. I wasn't sure if it was just me or both of us. Maybe I was the one making it weird?

Once we left and had got back to the airport, I felt like I was coming off my Ed Sheeran high and started to question my sanity. What the hell was I thinking? I was in no position to be even entertaining the idea of kissing Austin, let alone allow whatever just happened to play out. I'd just broken up with Cole! I did not need to go shacking up with Austin of all people either. Plus, I'm sure he couldn't have actually wanted to kiss me. It was like he said, he had tons of girls lined up to be with him, why would he even waste a moment on me? I groaned inside my head since Austin wasn't too far from me. I needed to stop worrying. I doubt Austin had shed another thought on it. I was being my usual self and overthinking every small thing.

We'd boarded the plane and for about half the trip I was doing fine, keeping my thoughts distracted. Until I looked over at Austin and he was already looking at me. After a second, he looked out the window towards the darkened sky.

Should I say something? We were both staying quiet. Most likely waiting for the other to speak first. I was ready to open my mouth to try but nothing came out.

            Other than a conversation about Gina and Jace coming back into town next week, we didn't say very much

Other than a conversation about Gina and Jace coming back into town next week, we didn't say very much. Austin was now driving me home and the music played low around us. Just when we were getting close, one of his songs came on and he must've got embarrassed because he went to change it, but I stopped him.

The song was the same one from the other night and I ended up turning it up a little more.

"I like this song," I said.

His eyes got hung up on mine appearing skeptical before looking back at the road. "That's surprising. I thought you didn't listen to my music."

A shy smile made its way across my lips. "I don't," I said. "Not really, but I heard this song the other night driving home and...I don't know," I tried explaining. "I guess I haven't given your music a fair chance."

"Well, aren't I lucky," he said, earning a small snicker from me.

The song was only halfway through when we had reached my house. Austin parked as I stared at my front door, knowing I'd have to face him. Slowly, I turned towards him and our eyes met. With his song playing around us, I couldn't bring myself to look away. He didn't try looking away either, but instead, he started singing along to his song. It was low like a whisper, but he kept his eyes on me as he sang to it.

God damn. Maybe Ed Sheeran wasn't the only one with a panty-dropping voice after all. Because Austin's voice was heating me up from the inside out.

Just like earlier both of us seemed to be under some spell. I'd been wrapped up in his voice singing to me that by the time the song ended I hadn't noticed how close Austin had gotten. He was leaned over in his seat, only mere inches away from me now, and I had no urge to move away. In fact, I found myself inching towards him too. Perhaps what happened before wasn't all in my head after all. For whatever reason, he wanted to kiss me, and as much as I found myself loathing him, I wanted to kiss him too. It was crazy, I knew that, and wrong, yet, my heart picked up in pace with each passing second.