Chapter 27

Austin looked as if he were ready to strike.

Thank God I didn't tell him about what I saw. Nor would I.

"Is that?" I started to ask.

"Yup," he said curtly. "And she's talking to Roy, my producer...the one she cheated on me with."

Oh, hell no. This just went from bad to worse. I shook my head, cursing them both! I should've been surprised to learn that they were still messing around, but I was far from it. Repulsed, yes, but not surprised. Somehow, I was pissed now too. This cannot be good. It was one thing to see his ex strut past him, but to have both of them here interacting. Almost rubbing it in his face.

Again, thank God Austin didn't know they were still continuing their fling.

"We can go," I offered, wishing I could reach out to touch him. "Just say you ate something here and it made you sick."

His eyes were glued down to the table, fighting off the urge to lose it. He shook his head. "No, I'm not going to go running from them. It's like you said. I have to be the bigger person."

His attitude had me relived. "Good," I encouraged. "Because again, they aren't worth the energy. It's better to show her she no longer affects you." Even though it was clear she did. A lot. If I were being honest, it bothered me even though it shouldn't.

Tearing his eyes off of her, he focused on his drink and took a long swig. A waiter walked by and Austin called out to him asking for another drink, but this time for a straight whiskey. He nodded, and Austin tossed the rest of his current drink back before slamming it on the table. As much as Austin wanted to believe he could handle this, I wasn't so sure anymore. Plus, why did the sight of her unhinge him so much? Wasn't he over her?

He looked up at me, ready to open his mouth and say something, but snapped it shut. After a beat longer he uttered, "Fuck me."

"What? Here?" I asked confused.

"My ex is walking right over here."

Oh. Not that kind of fuck me. But indeed, her coming over here was a fuck me situation. I wanted to turn around and look, but then she'd know Austin said something, so I kept my head pressed forward like her nearing presence didn't matter. One of us had to play it cool.

"Well, well, well," she sang as she reached us.

I looked up attempting to smile at her, signaling I had no idea who this bitch was.

"Austin, I was hoping to see you here." Her hand dropped to his shoulder flirtatiously.

Never had I wished to rip a woman's hand off until now.

He peeked up at her, giving her a bitter smile. "Do you ever get tired of blowing smoke up people's asses?"

Her playful demeanor fell, but she tried to bring it back. "I see you haven't changed at all." Her hand retreated. Good. "Despite everything, I was hoping we could get off on the right foot this time. I haven't seen you in so long."

"There's a reason for that," he gritted out.

She sighed, feigning this whole innocent persona. "True, but maybe later we can meet,"

He cut her off. "Where? In the back trailer?"

Immediately, her face hardened. Little did she know I got the reference that it was the room she fucked the producer in behind his back. Her features twisted, and I felt like her mask was shedding. "I just want to talk. Even Roy was hoping we could get the chance to talk together."