19

That night Eden was struggling to sleep. Every time she closed her eyes she saw them all dead. She saw Al's dead face in her hands. She sat up and walked out to Peter's room.

"Peter," she said nudging him and he hummed. "I can't sleep."

"I can," he said and flipped over.

"Peter," she said nudging him again. He groaned and sat up. Eden noticed that he was shirtless but she wasn't much better. She was just in a large t shirt and her underwear.

"Come on," he said and lifted the covers. She crawled in the bed and he wrapped an arm around her. "Why can't you sleep?"

"I keep seeing Al's face," she answered honestly. Peter flipped over and hugged Eden's back to his chest.

"It'll be okay. Just try and sleep. You need it," he said and she nodded. She was holding onto his forearm that rested on her stomach. She closed her eyes and tried to find sleep. It wasn't as difficult with Peter holding her but it still took a while until she was able to do so.

"Wake up princess," Peter said shaking her a bit. "We have to go."

"What time is it?" She asked sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"Five. Go get dressed," he said and she nodded. She walked off back to her room. She changed into black jeans, a tank top, and leather jacket. She had put her hair in two Dutch braids and slipped on her combat boots. She went to the bathroom to finish up and walked out.

"Ready?" Peter asked her. He was dressed in similar clothes to her.

"Yea," she nodded and they walked out towards the pit. When they got there, they saw all the people marching together under the simulation. They walked over to where Max and Eric were standing.

"Morning you two. Here are your guns," Max said while handing them both the automatic guns. Eden took it and adjusted her grip. It was heavier than the ones she was used to. "They can see us and hear us, but just don't process it the same way. The commands come in to be transferred."

"Hey," Eden said and nodded her head towards someone looking confused and frantic.

"What's going on? What is everybody doing?" He asked walking quickly up to them.

"Divergent," Max said and Eden's eyebrow furrowed.

"Hey don't worry. Everything's fine," Eric said walking up to the man. Quickly, though, he took out his gun and shot the man in the head. Eden flinched and brought a hand to her mouth.

"The first time is always difficult, but we can't show mercy for divergents," Max told her and she nodded while taking her hand away. "Just be brave."

"I will," she told him and regained her composer. Max nodded and sent her a small smile.

"You will do good here. Both of you. Take them to their station. Let's get to the train," Max ordered and most of the awake leaders took off. Eric walked over to Eden and put a hand on the small of her back.

"Whatever you do, don't hesitate. Divergents die on the spot," he told her and she nodded. "You probably won't have to deal with anything but just in case there are stragglers."

"I can do it," she said and Eric nodded.

"I know you can," he said before walking off. Eden jogged to the spot where Peter was being led away.

"Just down that hall. You're guarding the big doors," the man said in a gruff voice and they nodded. He walked off quickly to go to the trains and they were left alone.