Part 4: Eventually they'll Find their Way Back

Zoey narrates.

I step outside from the Luca's, just for a breather. The air is warm, and I close my eyes and take a deep breath. As I open them, I see Aaron walking towards me. He looks angry.

'What the hell? You got back together with Luca?' He says.

Annoyed, I cross my arms.

'Not that it's any of your business, but no. I'm not with Luca. He was messing around.' I reply.

'It is my business, Zoey. I can't do this anymore. Everything has been so weird since all that happened between us, and I don't know how to act around you and how to be your friend again. Hell, I'm not even sure I want to be your friend. I care about you more than that. Since that night I told you I liked you at the freshman formal, I never stopped liking you.' Aaron responds, angrily.

I'm taken aback. But he continues.

'But we can't be together Zoey, because I can't trust you. Every time I wanted to be with you, and you knew it too, you blew me off. Whether that be for Cash or Luca, I was always second best to you. And I don't want to be played by you anymore. I can't. I can't trust you with my feelings anymore.' He says.

My eyes water. It's what I've wanted to hear. That Aaron Jackson has feelings for me. Combined with everything I've never wanted to hear. That we can't be together.

'I'm sorry, Aaron. But you have to know I wouldn't play you again. I like you too. I always have. Part of me did even throughout Cash and Luca. I was just scared of ruining what we already had.' I say, through tears.

Aaron wipes my tears softly.

'Don't be sorry. It's not you. We just can't do this, Zoey. Just know that not being with you and watching you with someone who isn't me is one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through.'

I look up at him, as our eyes meet.

'If two people are meant to be together...eventually they'll find their way back. We're just two people. Right place, wrong time. I'm sorry, Zoey.' He says, as he leans in, and kisses my forehead, before leaving, without saying another word.

_____

So my feelings for Aaron were out in the open. And part of me wished things could be different, knowing that he also felt the same about me. But he had a girlfriend. And I had to respect that. And even if I was worried about our friendship, I had to put it to the side for now.

It was a busy week. We were preparing for Sky and Jazz's birthday bash. Costumes, photo booths, good food and drinks. I was really excited. And actually, it was nice to have something else to think about.

Doug really went all out for the party. It was so sweet. Jazz and Doug really were the perfect couple. Jillian was back on campus, and had made up with Luca. Ana and Javi had finally become official, Sky and Rodney were bonding really well and Vivek was getting in deep with Heidi. I was happy for my friends, truly. But it did make me feel some type of way.

Luckily, I had Nomi by my side. My girl for the long run. We'd planned to co-ordinate our costumes for the party. I couldn't wait!

_____

The party had started and everyone was having a great time. It was still early into the night, but Nomi and I were totally drunk already.

From what I remember, I was literally dancing around the room, with a bottle of alcohol in my hand, before crashing into someone. My free palm hits their chest, and I can feel their oddly familiar muscles. Looking down, I see that the bottle has smashed into shards of glass on the floor.

'Oh my god! I'm so sorry! Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry...'

I keep muttering sorry, as I begin picking up the shards of glass with my bare hands.

'Hey! Zoey, be careful!'

The person kneels down to stop me, and to my surprise, it's Aaron.

'Aaron?!'

_____