Part 15: Summer's Over

Zoey narrates.

So Aaron and I were 'taking a break', but what that meant to me was that we'd broken up, and I was devastated. It had been a few days and, of course, I hadn't seen him. I'd been busy packing for Joey's tour, and with finals too, had been so stressed out, so was now really looking forward to my summer away.

I am due to leave for my flight this evening, and I'm bringing one of my suitcases down, as Luca and Jillian enter.

'Hey, Zoey!' Jillian hugs me, followed by Luca.

We talk for a while, before Luca asks the uncomfortable question.

'How you holding up, with the whole Aaron situation.' He asks.

I frown.

'I guess i'm fine. It took me by surprise. You know, Aaron says this is a break, but does that mean we're never gonna get back together? Are we gonna change completely over this summer, is he gonna find someone else? You know, all these thoughts keep running through my head.' I say.

'Yeah, I get that. But look, you're about to tour with Joey Badass! Aren't you excited?' Asks Jillian.

I smile.

'Honestly, I'm so ready for this. I can't wait to finally show my creative style, and I really think this will be good for me.' I say.

'I just wish it didn't come at the cost that Aaron and I had to end like this...' I add, sadly.

'Things haven't ended between you guys! It's still gonna work out when you get back Zo, just be hopeful.' Says Jillian, reassuringly.

'I just wish I could see him before I leave.' I say.

_____

Later that night, I'm standing in the living room, saying goodbye to my friends.

'Stay safe, chief. Till we meet again.' Luca says, gesturing a hand shake, as I laugh and pull him into a hug.

'Please update your instagram regularly so we can see what you're getting up to!' Ana says, hugging me.

I hug everyone else, as Doug and Luca take my bags out to the private hired car Joey sent for me.

I step outside, as everyone follows, and my eyes widen in shock to see Aaron standing outside, holding a bouquet of roses.

The rest of the crew leave us alone for a moment. I walk towards Aaron.

'Hey...' I say, softly.

'Hey.' He replies.

'I didn't think you'd come.' I say, sadly.

'I wanted to see you one last time.' He says.

We stare at each other before he hands me the flowers.

'These are for you.' He says, handing them to me.

I take them, smiling.

'They're beautiful. Thank you.' I say.

The awkward silence between us is oddly comforting.

'Aaron...I'm sorry.' I say.

'Don't be sorry Zoey. You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm proud of you. I can't wait to see what you've achieve this summer.' He says.

He moves closer to me.

'Before you go, can I kiss you one last time?' He asks.

Our eyes lock intensely, as I initiate the kiss, holding the flowers to the side, and placing my free hand on his cheek. We kiss, passionately, as my body aligns with his, before I pull away and sigh. I look down.

'I don't expect you to wait for me.' I say.

'Do you remember what I said to you, before we got together?' He asks.

I shake my head, confused.

'If two people are meant to be together, eventually they'll find their way back.' He says, with a faint smile.

I bite my lip, resisting the urge to kiss him again.

Everyone comes outside again, and our moment ends.

'Yo, Zoey? The car is ready to leave for the airport now.' Doug Says.

'Yeah, I'm ready.' I say. I look at Aaron one last time, my eyes watering.

I wave goodbye to everyone, as I get in the car, unable to look back at Aaron.

_____

2 month time jump.

The summer was amazing! The best. I'd toured the whole country with Joey Badass, had my first taste of fame, and styled every single one of his outfits. Me!

It was a whirlwind, but it did solidify one thing for me. I wanted to stay in college. I'd met so many different people during my time away, and whilst they worked in the fashion and celebrity industry, they'd still gone to college, and never sacrificed the power of their education. Besides, I missed my friends so much, I couldn't imagine not graduating with them.

Since Aaron and I were broken up, and of course I felt sad about it for the first few weeks, honestly I was totally fine now.

I was headed back to Cal U, to get ready for the next semester, and couldn't wait to see everyone. It'd be awkward between Aaron and I at first, but I'd hoped we could rekindle our friendship, and you know, maybe even pick up where things left off?

I get out of the car, as the driver unloads my bags for me. As I enter the house, my friends are standing there with a 'Welcome Home Zoey Badass' banner, as they all shout 'surprise!'. They're the best.

I start to hug them all, before I see Aaron, and give him a wide smile, which fades, when I see...Rochelle?!

So I guess my perfect summer is really over then?

_____