Part 20: Hurt

Zoey narrates.

I'm sitting in my room, my knees hugged to my chest, still shaking from the night's events. The party is over now and the gang is downstairs tidying, still reeling themselves from what just happened. My eyes are closed as Aaron comes back in and sits next to me. He touches me, and I flinch, moving away, as I hadn't realised he'd come in.

'Oh, sorry...' I say quietly.

'Hey, there's no need to apologise.' He says, as he wraps his arms around me, and I snuggle into his chest. I feel safe now.

'I should be apologising. If I had gotten here sooner, this never would have happened.' He says.

'It's not your fault.' I say through tears.

We sit in silence for the next few minutes.

'I was scared. I thought something worse was going to happen.' I whisper to Aaron.

'I know you were scared.' He says stroking my hair.

'So was I.' He adds.

He is about to pull away, but I cling on to his collar.

'Where are you going?' I ask worriedly.

'Hey, it's okay!' He says, kissing my forehead.

'I'm just going to go and sort something out, okay? I'll send Ana up right now.' He says, as I nod.

_____

I'm laying down on the bed, tired, as Ana strokes my head.

'I'm sorry for ruining your party.' I say, softly.

'Hey! Don't you dare apologise! It was not your fault! At all! I just wish I could give that douche bag a piece of my mind!' She says, passionately, as I laugh a little.

Suddenly, we both hear shouting downstairs, and after looking at each other, confused, head on down.

I stand on the staircase, a blanket wrapped around me, when I see Aaron and Luca in a heated argument.

'Why the hell are you bringing sketchy friends to the girls' house anyways?' Aaron argues.

'I didn't know he was like that! I thought he was a normal dude.' Luca replies, rolling his eyes.

'Yeah, but it was Ana's party. She didn't invite him. So you thought you'd just take it upon yourself to invite someone who none of us know, do you know how dangerous that is, man?' Aaron says, raising his voice.

'We're around strangers all the time, on a normal night out. Are you saying Zoey needs a man around to be safe?' Luca questions, his arms folded.

Everyone listens on intently, too afraid to interrupt this debate.

'No. We're around strangers in bars and clubs where of course we aren't going to know everyone. But this is their house. All their personal belongings and personal lives are here. You can't go around bringing in weird people to their safe space. Do you have any idea what could have happened if I hadn't got here and went looking for Zoey?' He shouts, as I hear the hurt in his voice.

Aaron's back is to me, but I feel warm inside knowing how much he cares about me.

'Dude what are you trying to say? That I sent that guy on purpose?' Luca raises his voice, annoyed.

'Is this your confession?' Aaron asks, questioningly.

'You know what, man? I'm done.' Luca says, as he looks at me.

'I hope this is worth it, Zoey. I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't ever want you to get hurt. But believe me, it wasn't my fault. I didn't know this was going to happen.' He says to me, sadly, as he walks out of the house, Jillian following after him.

Aaron rubs his head, stressed, as he turns around and sees me. I look at him hopelessly, before going over and wrapping my arms around his waist, and placing my head on his chest in a hug. He wraps his arms around me too, as we stay there, and the rest of the crew embrace around us in a huge group hug.

____

The next morning, as I wake up, I find a note on the pillow beside me. It's from Aaron.

'Had to leave for class. Will see you later. Love you.' It says.

I smile, but I'm exhausted after last night. I head downstairs, yawning, as I see the girls and Vivek in the kitchen making breakfast.

'Hey, Zoey.' Ana says.

'How you feeling?' Jazz asks.

'Guys, I'm fine.' I say, with a faint smile.

'Wanna talk about it?' Nomi asks.

'Not really.' I reply, as I start making myself a coffee.

'I just...what happened with Luca and Aaron?' I ask.

'Aaron blamed Luca for what happened, since you know, it was his friend.' Nomi says.

'Yeah, but how was Luca to know?' I say, as they all go silent.

'You guys think it was Luca's idea, don't you?' I say.

'Well....we're not blaming him, like, at all. But don't you think it's kinda coincidental that you rejected him and then it just so happens that his shady friend, whom we've never heard about, shows up?' Sky says.

'I don't know...I don't think Luca would do that to me....' I say, confused.

'But, hey, let's forget all that for now. We just want you to be okay.' Vivek says.

'Thanks...' I say, with a smile, as they continue to talk away, and I'm left wondering whether it really was a plot by Luca, and if it was, then I can't help but feel hurt.

_____