Part 11: 1 Month

Zoey narrates.

So Aaron and I were finally in a relationship. It had been a month now, so we were coming up to our first anniversary. Things had been going good. Great, actually. We'd spent a lot of time together, had been on several dates, and had lots, quote lots, of sex.

Most nights Aaron stayed at mine, some nights I stayed at his. We were literally living together in college. I loved it.

It's morning now, and I head downstairs, leaving Aaron asleep. I yawn, as I enter the kitchen, where the girls are having breakfast.

'Morning, sleepyhead.' Says Ana, smiling.

'Good morning.' I say, softly.

'Bitch, I'm not beating around the bush, y'all need to keep it down at night.' Sky says, to my surprise.

'What do you mean?' I ask, confused.

'Zoey, I think what Sky means is that whilst we're really happy for you and Aaron, it's kind of distracting when...' Nomi starts to say, as Sky finishes her sentence.

'Aaron is not a quiet lover.' She says.

The girls erupt into laughter, so I join in, as my face grows hot in embarrassment.

______

I head back upstairs, with a tray of breakfast for Aaron who, not surprisingly, is still asleep. I place the tray down on the bedside table, and climb into bed next to him, before kissing his lips to wake him.

He rubs his eyes.

'Good morning.' I say, stroking his head.

'Good morning, beautiful.' He replies, kissing me.

'I made you breakfast.' I say, as he sits up and I bring the tray to the bed.

'Wow. Domestic, nice.' He says, as I laugh.

'Well, I just wanted to treat you.' I say.

He starts to eat, as I think for a moment before asking him a question.

'So, do you have anything special planned for tonight?' I ask.

'Tonight? What's tonight? I was just thinking we could have a night out with the crew at Titanium. Our usual Friday night.' He says, as he continues to eat.

I did kind of expect this. Aaron's not the type to remember specific dates, just important moments in his life. But, you know, one month is kind of a big deal. Luca and I celebrated our one month anniversary...I decide to brush it off. It's not that important. It's really not.

'I'm gonna run to Hawkins and then go to class, so I'll see you this evening?' He says, kissing me, before leaving.

_____

As the girls and I get dolled up, later that evening, to go to Titanium, I wonder if I'm tripping over something I shouldn't be.

'Guys, it's not a big deal that Aaron forgot our 1 month anniversary, is it?' I ask, as I apply my lipstick.

'Girl what?! He forgot?!' Jazz asks, shocked.

'Um...Zoey that's kind of a big deal.' Nomi Says.

'Do you think I should talk to him about it?' I ask.

'Honesty is what makes a relationship thrive. Why do you think Doug and I are in two years deep?' Jazz says, smiling.

I decide that I'd talk to Aaron about how I felt. This relationship is so important to me, so of course I want to be honest and make it work.

_____

We arrive at Titanium, and order food and drinks. Whilst everyone is chatting away, I keep checking my phone for texts from Aaron, since he hasn't arrived yet, and I haven't heard from him all day. I even call him, but it goes straight to voicemail.

'Zoey, when is Aaron getting here?' Asks Doug.

'I don't know. He's not picking up his phone.' I reply.

I wait some more, before deciding to leave. I only came to spend time with Aaron, so there's no point in me staying.

_____

I arrive home, and unlock the door. I switch on the lights, and looking down, am slightly confused. I walk in and my eyes widen in shock. Where I'm standing, is a pink and red rose petal path leading through the room, and several flowers all around. Then, as I put my bag down, I see Aaron emerge, smiling. My heart warms, and I start to cry.

'Oh no, no. Zoey, why are you upset? Did something happen? Do you not like this? Is it too extra? Dammit I knew it.' He rants, in concern.

Through my tears, I laugh, as he walks towards me and embraces me in a hug. I tighten my grip around him.

'Don't let go.' I say, as he strokes my head.

'I'm sorry. I thought you'd like this. I wanted you to know how great this month has been, and how special you are to me, and how much I can't wait to spend every single day with you.' He says.

I pull away from him, our arms still wrapped around each other.

'No! Aaron, don't apologise! This is amazing. Its beautiful. Thank you. I don't know why I'm crying. I think they're happy tears?' I say, as we both laugh.

He holds my face and kisses me, as I reciprocate.

'I love you. Thank you.' I say.

He kisses me again and we head upstairs.

_____

As I lay beside Aaron in bed, wearing his t-shirt, and his chest bare, he opens a bottle of champagne, and pours us both a glass.

'Happy 1 month anniversary, Zoey.' He says, as he kisses me softly.

'I can't wait to see what the future holds for us.'

_____