Part 49: Propose

Zoey narrates.

Our graduation has arrived. It felt surreal to be finishing my journey at Cal U with my friends, but I couldn't be more excited to see what we'd get up to next.

The night before graduation, the crew and I are having one more night out at Titanium.

'Okay, since I've already graduated, drinks on me.' Aaron says, playfully rolling his eyes, as I laugh and kiss his cheek.

'I just want to say how proud I am of all of you.' He adds.

'What a ride it's been.' Nomi says, and we all nod in agreement.

We spend some time talking and laughing, before Aaron decides to head out with Doug and Vivek.

'I'll see you at home?' He asks, as he stands up and kisses my forehead.

He starts to leave, but I quickly get up and follow him.

'Aaron! Wait!' I call after him, so he stops and turns around.

'What's wrong?' He asks.

'Just....I love you.' I say.

He smiles widely, before leaning in and kissing my lips, holding my face with one hand and my waist with the other. We kiss for a long time, and he finally pulls away.

'I love you too.' He replies, as I smile.

'You can go now.' I say, almost questioningly, and he waves before leaving.

That's it?

I return to our table, frowning.

'What's wrong, Zo?' Ana asks.

'Okay, tell me if I'm being stupid or irrational but I really thought Aaron would propose to me after graduation.' I say, defeatedly.

'What do you mean propose? Didn't he already give you a promise ring?' Jazz asks, pointing to my hand.

'Well yeah...but I thought he'd propose like...marriage?' I say.

'I don't know, maybe I'm just dreaming too far ahead.' I say, sadly.

'Graduation isn't over yet, Zoey.' Ana says.

'There's still time.' She adds.

'I guess...but I thought he'd at least give some hints or an indication that he's going to propose. Maybe I should ask him?' I say.

'Girl, what?! You're just gonna go and straight up ask 'Aaron are you proposing to me?'' Sky says, confused.

'Actually it might not be a bad idea.' Nomi says.

'What do you think, Nomi?' I ask.

'I think we're adults and this is an adult conversation. You just want to know where his head is at. But obviously, don't ask in the sense that you'll be upset if he isn't planning to propose.' She says.

'Will you be upset if he doesn't propose?' Jazz asks.

'No! No...I don't think so? I know that we're still going to be together. But at the same time I want to prepare to start my life with him.' I say.

'Then you should talk to him, Zo.' Ana says, and I decide that I will.

_____

When I get home, Aaron's waiting for me outside on the porch.

'Hey.' I say, sitting beside him, as he snakes an arm around my waist, and kisses me.

'Hey beautiful.' He replies.

'Ready to recharge before your big day tomorrow?' He asks.

'Yeah...can we talk first?' I ask, and he nods, confused.

'Of course. What's up?' He asks, as I sit up straight and brace myself.

'Are you planning to propose to me? Like marriage?' I ask, getting straight to the point.

He laughs nervously.

'Zoey...where's this coming from?' He asks.

'I just...I don't know. I thought you'd propose when I graduate, but I haven't gotten any hints from you or...' He stops me, holding my face with both his hands.

'Zoey, I love you. And I want to marry you.' He says, as my eyes light up, and my smile widens.

'But...not yet.' He says, and my smile fades.

'I'm not ready yet.' He says, and I slowly nod, but look away.

'Zoey, look at me.' He says, and I do, trying to fight back tears.

'I'm sorry.' He says.

'No, Aaron. You don't need to apologise. I get it. It's a big step. And I don't want to force you. Please just forget that I brought it up.' I say.

We sit in silence for a while, neither of us knowing what to say.

'Should we go upstairs? You have a big day tomorrow.' He says, and I nod, trying to hide my disappointment.

'You go. I'll meet you up in 5.' I say, as he nods before heading inside.

I take a deep breath. Tomorrow I'm graduating. It's supposed to be one of the best days of my life, though it's now been tainted by the sadness that Aaron and I won't be engaged any time soon...

_____