Part 18: Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Zoey narrates.

'Zoey?!'

I turn around and see Aaron, and realise he just saw Luca kiss me.

'Oh my god! Aaron....' Before I can speak, he walks off.

'I have to go after him...' I say, as Luca holds my arm.

'Wait, Zoey...' I cut him off.

'No. Sorry Luca. I can't do this with you. What we had was amazing. Past tense. I'm sorry. But I'm still in love with Aaron.' I say.

'But he doesn't feel the same anymore?' Luca replies.

'Maybe. But that doesn't mean I'm going to give up on him.' I say, running after Aaron, before Luca has the chance to stop me again.

_____

I finally catch up with Aaron.

'Go away, Zoey.' He says, walking off.

'No! Aaron! Wait!' I say, as I have to stop, out of breath.

I expect him to walk on, but he stops and walks back towards me.

'You and Luca?' He asks, raising his eyebrows.

'No. You have to believe me. There is nothing going on between Luca and I.' I say.

He doesn't respond.

'This morning, I came to tell you that Luca said he still has feelings for me.' I say, as Aaron looks shocked.

'And you have feelings for him too?' He asks.

'No! No, not at all. I was trying to tell him that I don't feel the same, and then...you know...'

'He kissed you.' Aaron finishes my sentence.

'Look, Aaron. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. But in all honesty, you don't have the right to question me anymore. We're not together.' I say.

Aaron looks hurt.

'True...' He replies.

'And anyways, you're with Rochelle.' I say, rolling my eyes.

'I'm not, Zoey. Rochelle is just a friend.' He says.

'Stop with the bullshit, Aaron!' I say, annoyed.

'Zoey, I'm not lying. I haven't been with anyone, since you. I haven't slept with anyone, kissed anyone...Hell, I couldn't even flirt with a girl if I tried. All I could think about for the whole summer was you.' He says.

I look on, surprised.

'Why didn't you wait for me, then?' I ask.

'I did. But...I don't know...' He starts, as my eyes prompt him to go on.

'I guess...I got scared. I didn't think you'd come back to Cal U, hearing how much you were enjoying the tour. And then, when you stopped contacting....and after that last call we had...I just took it as your way of ending things...' He says.

'What call...' I say, confused.

'You called me, whilst you were at I don't know some after party or something. And you were with a guy. And you were saying all sorts of stuff. Like how you wanted to be free...a lot of shit.' He says.

'Oh my god, Aaron! I was totally wasted. Why didn't you try to call me again, afterwards?' I ask.

'I don't know, Zoey. Part of me just thought that you went out that summer to figure out your life, and that you had. I did wait for you. But I assumed you hadn't waited for me. So when I heard you were coming back...I just couldn't face it. I can't stop thinking about you, and I won't stop.' He says, looking down, as a small tear escapes my eye.

I walk over to him and cup his face in my hands. He looks at me, and we stare at each other intently, before he places his lips on mine, softly. I kiss him back, as if it's the last time I'll ever kiss him again. We finally pull away.

'Zoey...I love you. I could never love anyone else.' He says.

'I love you too, Aaron.' I say, kissing him again, as his hands wander my neck, but I stop him.

'I don't ever want you to think that I'm done with you again. Never.' I say, sternly, as he laughs.

'What about Luca?' He asks.

'What about him?' I say, pulling him into another kiss.

He pulls away to speak again.

'I'm sorry, Zoey.' He says.

'I'm sorry, too.' I reply, smiling.

We walk back to his dorm, hand in hand, talking away, as I realise, this is the only place I want to be.

_____

The next morning, I wake up in Aaron's arms. He's looking at me, smiling.

'Good morning.' I say, as I reach up and kiss him.

'God, I've missed this.' He says.

'Me too.' I say, as I snuggle in closer.

'I hate to ruin this moment...but I am going to have to talk to Luca, aren't I?' I say, worriedly.

'He'll understand. I'm sure.' Aaron says, reassuringly.

'I need to go and get ready for class.' I say, looking up at him.

'I don't want you to leave.' He says, as he rolls over me, and starts kissing me all over my face.

My heart finally feels warm again.
_____