Part 45: Family

Zoey narrates.

After doing a bit of shopping with the girls, I come back to the house and sit in my room, annoyed, waiting for Aaron.

I finally hear him come in, laughing with Doug and Vivek, so I approach our room door with my arms crossed.

He walks in and is surprised to see me.

'Hey.' He says, as he closes the door behind him, and goes to kiss me. I let him, but when he pulls away I glare at him.

'Are you kidding me? You did all of that, got me so worked up, and then just left? You didn't even finish?' I say, angrily.

'Oh...I'm sorry, Zoey.' He says, and even though I'm joking, he looks genuinely upset.

I go take his face in my hands.

'Hey, I was kidding. It's okay.' I say, with a laugh.

He takes my face and kisses my lips, before pulling away and smiling at me.

'I need to take a shower.' He says.

'Me too.' I reply, smiling.

He grins widely, before taking my hand as we laugh and head to the bathroom.

_____

Later that afternoon, I find Aaron having a drink with my dad at his holiday bar. I can kind of hear their conversation, so I stay and listen from afar.

'I would love to join your team, honestly. I just need to know that we can keep business and Zoey aside.' Aaron says, as I look on nervously.

My dad smile.

'Of course. I understand.' He replies.

'So, with that being said. Welcome to Stevens and Lido, Aaron.' My dad says, as he raises a glass to Aaron.

'Thank you, Mr Johnson. This means a lot.' Aaron says.

'Dre. You can call me Dre. You're family, after all.' My dad replies, and my eyes water at this heart touching moment.

'Zoey is a lucky girl. I'm glad she's found someone who cares so much about her.' He adds.

I can't watch any longer, so I go over to them, standing behind Aaron and wrapping my arms around his shoulders from behind.

'Congratulations.' I say, and he smiles at me.

'You're the best, dad.' I add, going over and hugging him, because I truly am grateful for him, and the way that he's accepted Aaron.

My dad leaves, and I sit on Aaron's lap.

'I'm so proud of you.' I say, with my arms around his neck.

He places a hand on my thigh and kisses me.

'I have a surprise for you tonight.' He says.

'What is it?' I ask.

'Just put on the dress I left for you in the bedroom, and meet me outside at 7.' He says, smiling, as he kisses me once more, then picks me up from his lap, standing me on the ground, before leaving, as I'm left confused and excited.

_____

I go to the bedroom and find a beautiful white mini dress, with off the shoulder sleeves, laying on the bed. There's a note with it.

'I picked this out for you. I hope you like it. Love you.' It reads.

I smile, and head on to get dressed and ready for whatever Aaron has planned.

I quickly pack my handbag, and then head outside to meet him.

When I step out, I see him waiting for me, checking his face in his phone camera. He looks so cute, and I laugh.

'Hey! I didn't see you there.' He says, coming over to me and giving me a quick kiss.

'Hey. You look nice.' I say.

'And you look...amazing. I see you wore the dress . I wasn't sure if you'd like it.' He says, looking me up and down.

'I love it. It's perfect.' I reply.

'Should we go?' He asks.

'Sure.' I reply.

_____

We arrive somewhere, and stepping out of the car, Aaron asks me to close my eyes.

'Why? Then I won't be able to see.' I say, frowning.

'Do you trust me?' He asks.

'With my life.' I reply.

'Then you'll be fine.' He says, smiling. I obey and close my eyes.

A few minutes later, Aaron helps me move somewhere else.

'Okay, Zoey. Open your eyes.' He says.

Opening my eyes, on the ground in front of me, is a beautiful rose petal path, leading to a decorated table setting, by the beach. The area is lit by dim fairy lights, and candles, and I can hear the distant waves in the background. Aaron stands by the table, awaiting my response.

'Aaron....' I say, emotionally, and speechless.

He walks over to me and takes my hand.

'I just wanted to do something special for you. This summer is all about us, and I want you to remember it.' He says, and I hug him tightly.

There's no where else I'd rather be.

_____