Part 47: Drunk and In My Feelings

Zoey narrates.

So, after our amazing summer vacation full of love and laughter between not only Aaron and I, but also our friends, we are now well into our senior year, and in Aaron's case, his new job working with my dad.

Things had been going great for a while. Aaron moved in with me and the girls, (I know, big step in our relationship!), classes had been going okay, and I was almost at the end of my journey at Cal U.

But then, Aaron started getting busier, and I started to become lonelier, and the dynamic of our relationship shifted.
_____

This particular night, I was enjoying a night out with the girls at Titanium.

'Okay next round on me!' I say, ushering the bartender.

'Next round? Zoey, don't you think we've had enough?' Ana asks, laughing.

'Nooo! More!' I say, as I carry on taking shots with Nomi, whilst everyone else laughs.

I'm totally drunk now, and everything is kind of a blur. Nomi seems alright....although I am a lightweight when it comes to drinking.

We all go back home, me stumbling, and the girls head upstairs, when we enter and see Aaron standing there. He looks kind of angry.

'Hey, baby, you're home from work.' I say, smiling, my eyes closed, as I hang my arms around his neck, and he catches me when I'm about to fall.

'Damn it, these stupid heels.' I say, kicking them off.

I hug Aaron sloppily, and he breathes in the alcohol scent.

'What the hell, Zoey?' He says, quietly.

'What....' I say, as I feel a pounding headache coming on.

'Come, let me take you upstairs.' He says, as I shake my head, pulling away from him.

'No. I don't want to go.' I say, going over to the kitchen and taking a bottle of wine and a glass out.

'Seriously, Zoey?' Aaron follows me to the kitchen, annoyed.

I scream in excitement as I pop open the bottle.

'Zoey, be quiet. It's 2 am in the morning, stop it.' He says sternly, trying to take the bottle from me.

'No. Give it back!' I say, angrily.

He continues trying to take the bottle from me, as I resist.

'Zoey, stop!' Aaron shouts, but it's too late, and I've already knocked over three glasses from the countertop, which smash into pieces when they hit the ground.

It goes silent, as I stare at the ground. I then start to cry. God, I'm so drunk.

My tears keep flowing. Aaron takes the bottle from my hand and places it away. He takes me in his arms, hugging me, pulling me close to his chest, as I sob into him.

He places his arm around my waist and takes me to the stairs, picking up my heels and then taking me upstairs. He helps me get into bed, and places the blanket over me, as I sniffle from the tears.

He goes to leave, but I stop him, taking his hand.

'Aaron...' I say, but he stops me.

'Go to sleep, Zoey. We'll talk about it in the morning.' He says, going over to his side of the bed.

I can sense the disappointment, and so I silently cry again.

A little while after he gets into bed, I know it pains him to see me like this, so he touches my shoulder, and I turn around to face him.

My eyes are red, and I see the hurt in his eyes.

'Come here.' He says, gesturing me to move closer to him, so I do.

I move to his side of the bed, and he wraps his arms around me. He kisses my head, and strokes my arm, as I finally feel safe, and fall asleep.

_____

The next morning, I wake up with the worst headache. I sit up, but Aaron isn't there. Oh god, I hope I haven't messed things up so badly.

I check my phone, but see no texts from him. Just then, Ana walks into my room.

'Hey, Zo. How you feeling?' She asks, sitting on my bed.

'Honestly, I don't know.' I reply.

'Aaron told me to check in on you. He said you hd a rough night.' She says, and I stay silent.

'Zoey. Talk to me. What's going through your head? Why have you been acting so weird lately? You've been spending a lot of time away from the house, this is the 2nd time this week that you've come home so wasted. We're worried about you.' She says, and my eyes water.

I cry and hug her, pouring out my heart.

'I just feel like Aaron's being so distant. I feel like maybe I'm not doing something right. What if I'm really not the right girl for him? It's like we don't get to see each other as much as we used to, so every time we're together should be so special, yet all I do is mess it up. Last night, I should have been home so that we could spend some time together but instead I went out and drunk my feelings away. And I feel like he's so disappointed in me and I don't know what to do now.' I cry.

Ana strokes my head.

'What if he doesn't want to be with me anymore? You know I can't be without him.' I add, sobbing.

'You need to talk to him, Zoey. Tell him how you're feeling. He loves you, Zoey. You know that. I promise you, you'll work this out.' She says, as she hugs me, and I stare at my promise ring.

This time I wasn't so sure.

_____