Part 29: The Ball

Zoey narrates.

It's the night of the ball, and everyone is downstairs, ready, except me of course. Nomi comes upstairs to my bedroom.

'Zoey! Come one, aren't you ready yet? Aaron's here, and we want to take pictures.' She says, impatiently.

'Yes, god, I'm done!' I say, as she leads me downstairs. Aaron turns around when he hears us.

'Wow...' He says, as he comes over and hugs me, his hand gently stroking my bump.

I smile.

'Thank you for the dress. It's beautiful.' I say.

'You're beautiful.' He replies, and I laugh.

'Okay, smile for a picture Zoey and Aaron!' Jazz says, as we take a few pictures, before heading to the ball.

_____

The ball is magical. I'm so glad I decided to come and enjoy the night with my friends. It feels refreshing, though I'm slightly annoyed that I can't drink.

I dance for a little while with everyone before deciding I need a rest. I lean in close to Aaron, who lowers his head.

'I'm tired, I'm going to go and sit down.' I say, into his ear.

'Okay, I'll come too.' He says, taking my hand, but I stop him.

'No, no! It's okay, you stay. I'll be fine.' I say, giving him a reassuring smile, and then heading off to sit at our table.

I'm checking through my phone, when I hear a voice.

'Hey! It's the curly headed cup....' To my surprise, it's Cash. I'd forgotten he was still taking classes at Cal U, and hadn't seen him in a while.

'Oh, hey, Cash! How are you?' I ask, as he sits with me.

'I'm good...but you? You're pregnant?!' He says, looking at my growing bump.

'Yep. Pregnant. That's me.' I say, laughing.

'Wow...congratulations?' He says, cautiously, as though not to offend me.

'Thank you. I'm very happy.' I say, as he smiles at me.

'It's so good to see you, though. Last I'd heard, you were touring with Joey Badass?' He asks, as I fill him in and we spend some time catching up.

Later, Aaron comes over, and is surprised to see Cash.

'Oh, hey bro. Congrats!' Cash says, pointing at me.

'Thanks...' Aaron says wearily.

'Zoey, are you okay?' Aaron asks me, concerned.

I nod and smile.

'I'm fine.' I say.

'Do you want me to get you something to eat or...' He starts to say.

'No, I'm good, thanks. Cash got me some food from the bar, and I've been drinking water all night. But you stop worrying about me! Enjoy your night!' I say, as he looks at me, confused.

'Yeah, don't worry about it, I'll stay with Zoey.' Cash says, as I see Aaron roll his eyes before leaving. Oh crap.

_____

The journey back home is silent, between me and Aaron, of course. When we arrive, the girls all filter upstairs, laughing, and Aaron and I are left together.

'Aaron, I just want to apologise for...' He cuts me off.

'For what Zoey? I asked you to the ball tonight because I wanted to spend time with you, and yet here you are, spending the whole night laughing and flirting with that dumbass Cash Mooney.' He says, angrily.

'He's just a friend...' I say.

'I know that, but it doesn't make me feel any better, seeing you with your ex. I know you say you don't want to be with me anymore, and I get it, I messed up, but it doesn't hurt any less, when all you want to do is be around the person you love and the person your creating a whole family with...' He says, as sighs, and rubs his head, stressed.

'Ouch...' I say, as I bend over slightly, putting my hand on my bump.

'Zoey! What's wrong, is everything okay?!' Aaron rushes over to me, concerned, and I laugh.

'What the hell, Zoey?! Are you pretending to be hurt?' He says, really confused.

I laugh again, and my eyes water, as I shake my head. I grab onto Aaron's hand and place it on my bump.

His eyes widen in shock.

'The baby's kicking. The baby's kicking!' He says, laughing with me, in joy.

'Hey, guys, come here, quick!' He shouts, as everyone runs downstairs, as though it's an emergency.

'Guys, the baby's kicking!' Aaron says, excitedly, as they all gasp, and laugh, placing their hands on my bunp, to feel.

'Zoey, why are you crying?!' Ana asks, concerned.

'I'm just...' I look up at Aaron, who locks eyes with me.

'So happy.' I add, as he kisses the side of my head, and I continue to laugh, as the girls gush over me.

_____