Part 7: Believe what's in your Heart

Zoey narrates.

We arrive at the event, and it honestly looks amazing. Everyone is buzzing, and the vibe is so classy. Aaron and I stand together to take some photos on the red carpet, as he snakes his arm around my waist. In one photo, we look at each other, with an intense gaze, before quickly separating.

The night goes on, with lots of socialising, dancing and drinking. As i'm dancing with my crew, I look around, as I can't see Aaron.

'Hey, do you guys know where Aaron is?'

They all look around and shake their heads.

'I'll go look for him.' I say.

I go to look around, before finding him pacing around behind the stage, talking to himself.

Concerned, I ask.

'Hey, Aaron? Are you good?'

'I'm just working through my speech. I don't know what to say, you know, to connect with everyone?' He responds.

I smile, and hold him by the shoulders.

'This event tonight, is incredible. The way you've gotten everyone to come together is so beautiful. Just speak from the heart. I believe in you.' I say.

He smiles, and we stare at each other for a while.

'Hey, Aaron! Dude, your up!' We hear.

I brush down the lint on his shoulders.

'You'll be great.' I say.

_____

The crowd is silent, as everyone listens to Aaron's speech.

'I want to thank you all for coming. Tonight, I wanted to raise the same awareness we did at the last 'Black Minds Matter' event, and I am certain we did. Not to mention all the funds we raised for the BSU, which will not be used just for catering at our parties.' He says, as everyone chuckles.

He continues, this time looking straight at me, our eyes connecting.

'Most importantly, I'd like to thank the one person who believes in me most. Who helped put all of this together, and honestly...makes me believe what's in my heart. Zoey Johnson, ladies and gentleman.' He says, gesturing at me, as everyone applauds. I can't help but smile continuously.

_____

Later, Nomi gets up on stage to announce the winners of our fundraising competitions.

'And for the best dressed couple, we have...Doug Edwards and Jazzlyn Forster!'

Jazz and Doug assemble on the stage, as we applaud them.

'Wow! Thank you, guys!' Says Jazz.

'We want to shout out Zoey Johnson for the styling. You killed it man!' Says Doug.

Next, they announce the winner for cutest couple.

'And the winner is...' Nomi says, opening the envelope.

'Zoey Johnson and Aaron Jackson!'

I'm quite shocked to hear our names, since we're not even an actual couple, but Aaron smiles at me from across the room, as he walks towards me. He must have entered us in.

He comes over to me and takes my hand, before leading me up to the stage.

'Thank you, everyone.' I says.

'Yeah, thanks guys.' Aaron says, as he kisses the side of my head, and the butterflies assemble inside my stomach.

_____

As the night progressed, the band started to play a slow song. Aaron asked me to dance with him, so I accepted, and we moved to the centre of the floor. I wrapped one arm around his neck, as he placed one of his on the small of my back, our other hands intertwined, as we danced slowly to the beat, our eyes never leaving each other's.

He talks to me, softly.

'Thank you for everything you did for tonight.' He says.

I smile.

'It was my pleasure. I'm glad I could finally help you.' I reply.

He leans in closer to me, as I feel his breath on my face, and bury my face in his chest, as we continue to dance.

After a few moments, he says my name.

'Zoey.'

I look up at him, and his gaze is so soft, all I want to do is be with him. Right now.

He leans in, until there's only an inch between our faces, and then he kisses me. Softly at first, and as I begin to reciprocate his kiss, it turns passionate. He slips his tongue into my mouth, and I bite his lip gently. Suddenly, the music stops, and we pull away, before we get in deeper. Awkwardly, I avoid his eye contact, looking away, before he takes my chin in his hand and turns me to face him, smiling.

'Come on, I'll drop you home.' He says.

_____

Aaron drops me home, and outside the door, he stops me, before I go in.

'Zoey, Can I ask you something?' He says.

'Sure.' I reply.

'I want to take you out. On a date.' He says.

It takes me by surprise.

'I thought...' He cuts me off.

'Zoey. I want to take you out on a date.' He says, firmly.

How could I say no?

'I'd love that.' I say.

'Great. I'll pick you up tomorrow night, for our first date.' He says, before planting a kiss on my lips, staying there for at least half a minute, and then leaving, without another word.

What the hell just happened?

_____