Part 30: Happy

Zoey narrates.

A few more weeks pass, and things had been going really great. Aaron and I had spent a lot more time together, and we were finally finding our 'co-parent' stride. It was so refreshing to be just best friends again.

We'd have the odd moment where it felt like we were in a relationship, and all I wanted to do was be with him, but I'd always quickly compose myself. He's hurt me too many times.

This particular day, Aaron and I were out shopping. We're walking through the store when I glance at myself in a nearby mirror.

'I've gotten really big.' I say, rubbing my stomach.

'You're not fat.' Aaron says, looking through the rack of baby shirts.

'I never said I was fat.' I say, crossing my arms, as he looks at me, worriedly.

'Neither did I. I said you were hot.' He says, awkwardly.

'Hmm...nice save.' I say, laughing.

We walk on ahead.

'That's the crib I wanted to show you. Look, it's so cool.' Aaron goes over and starts to play around with the features on the baby bed, trying to convince me.

'It's nice...but what about that one?!' I say, pointing over to a pink crib.

'It's pink.' Aaron says, making a face.

'So?' I ask.

'So...we don't know what we're having yet.' He replies.

'Does it matter?' I ask, annoyed.

'No...I mean...I want a boy.' He says.

'I want a girl.' I say, challenging him.

'I'm happy with whatever.' He replies.

'So am I.' I say, as he shuffles ahead of me.

'You're hormones are getting out of control.' He says, as I frown.

'I'm sorry. I guess I'm scared. And I'm really nervous to find out what we're having.' I say, chewing at my nails.

Aaron stops and holds my shoulders.

'Hey, it's going to be fine. Let's go home, I have a surprise for you.' He says.

_____

As we arrive home, and Aaron opens the door for me, my eyes widen in shock.

All of my friends are there, shouting 'surprise', and I realise that they've planned the most beautiful gender reveal party.

I look at Aaron, who's smiling.

'Did you do all this?' I whisper to him.

'I knew you were nervous. I just wanted to make it special for you.' He says, as my eyes water.

'Thank you...' I say.

'So, Zoey, what do you think?!' Ana asks, excitedly.

'I love it, truly. Thank you guys.' I say, as I embrace the girls, Vivek and Doug in a group hug.

'Okay, you go and get dressed, we'll set up the reveal!'

_____

After getting dressed, I join Aaron in the centre of the room. He snakes an arm around my waist, as we stand together, and Jazz takes some photos of us.

'Okay, one of Zoey and I!' Sky says, as she shoves Aaron out of the way, and I laugh.

I cradle my growing bump, as I take some more photos with my friends, before finding myself with Aaron again, holding his hand, as we prepare to let off the confetti cannons. Pink, if it's a girl, and blue, if its a boy. Aaron squeezes my hand, as I look into his eyes, before he lets go and my friends count down.

'3, 2, 1...' We let off the cannons, and I gape my mouth in shock. I jump up and down, and throw myself into Aaron's arms, as he embraces me in the most excited and joyous hug.

It's a girl.

_____

A little while later, as we all sit around eating the giant cake Ana ordered, we reflect on the unexpected news.

'I can't believe we're going to have a mini Zoey running around!' Ana says, pouting.

'I can't wait!' Nomi adds.

'Zoey, did you tell your parents?' Jazz asks.

'Yeah...they're super excited!' I say, as I look down at my bump, the smile on my face growing wider.

As the gang chat amongst themselves, Aaron takes my hand and leads me to the corner of the room.

I smile at him.

'I hope you're happy.' I say.

'I'm more than happy. I can't wait. I'm going to be a dad. To my baby girl.' He says, placing his hand on my bump.

My eyes water.

'Zoey, hey...what's wrong?' He says, wiping the tear that trickles down my face.

'I just...I'm really happy. Like, really, really happy. And sometimes I wonder if...I'm too happy, you know? Like something bad might happen...' I say, looking around, and soaking in the beautiful memories I'm making with my family.

'Hey...' Aaron hugs me and my head rests on his chest.

'It's okay.' He says, as he strokes my hair.

'I'm always going to protect you.' He adds, as I stay in his embrace, but look at him intently, before I lean in and kiss him.

I capture his lips, and he reciprocates, the kiss deepening, as though it's the last kiss we'll ever have.

We pull away, gasping for breath, as we just look at each other...with love.

_____