Part 43: Holiday

Zoey narrates.

A few weeks prior to summer, the crew and I had decided we wanted to spend it together, so I agreed with my dad that we could use the family holiday home by the beach for a staycation.

We were all frantically packing our suitcases, getting ready to leave this morning.

Aaron's chilling on my bed, whilst of course, I'm packing for the both of us.

'This one or this one?' I say to Aaron, holding up two bikinis.

He pauses.

'I can't choose. You'll look hot in both.' He says, before he returns to his phone screen.

I laugh.

'Thank you for your assistance.' I say, deciding to pack them both.

When I'm finished I go over and cuddle up with him on the bed, my head resting on his chest. He strokes my head, looking at me.

'Are you okay?' He asks.

'I'm perfect.' I reply, smiling at him.

He kisses my forehead.

'What are you looking at?' I ask, pointing to his phone.

'Just...thinking about starting work. After the summer. You know, I kinda imagined myself starting in one company and then working my way up to the top.' He says.

'That would be amazing.' I say.

'Yeah. I just can't seem to find the right job.' He says, frowning.

We hear a shout from downstairs.

'Zoey, Aaron? We're ready to leave now.' Ana shouts.

'Come, let's go. We have the whole summer to find you the perfect job. I promise, it's going to be great.' I say, kissing his lips, before we head down to meet everyone.

_____

After a tiresome journey, we finally arrive at the holiday house, later that evening.

Walking up to the door, we take in the beautiful surroundings.

'Oh my god, Zo. You never mentioned how gorgeous it was here!' Jazz says, as her a Doug stand together in awe.

'I'm so excited. Summer vacation has officially begun!' Nomi says.

I laugh as I had Aaron my bag, before unlocking the door.

We step in, as I welcome them in.

'Welcome to paradi-...mom? Dad?!'

_____

'Zoey? What are you doing here?' my mom asks.

'Uhh...I could ask the same thing?!' I say, shocked.

'Oh my god, Zoey. Did you get the date wrong?' My dad asks, shaking his head.

I'm speechless.

'We're not leaving for another 3 days, Zoey. I told you to come Sunday!' He says, laughing.

I don't even know what to say. What a nightmare.

My mom starts laughing too, as do my siblings who are seated at the dining table. I look around at my friends, who all look so sad.

'I'm so sorry, guys. I can't believe I did this.' I say.

'Hey, it's fine. We'll just come back.' Aaron says, reassuringly.

'Well...hey, you don't need to leave! It's such a long way, and we have plenty of rooms. Just hang in there for 3 more days, and then we'll be out of your way, and you can enjoy your vacation alone!' My mom says, enthusiastically.

'Yeah, it's not for long.' My dad adds.

'Guys, what do you think?' I ask my friends, cautiously.

'I'm down.' Sky says.

'I'd rather not go back home.' Vivek adds.

'So it's settled. Let's start our summer vacation, guys.' Aaron says, smiling. I know he'll always try to make the best out of such an annoying situation.

My mom and dad come over to greet everyone properly, both hugging Aaron, even my dad, which surprises me.

'I missed you, Zoey!' says my brother Jack, as he and Diane hug me tightly.

I'm surprisingly so happy to see them.

I glance at Aaron, who gives me a reassuring smile.

It's only 3 days. What could go wrong?

_____

Later that night, Aaron and I are in our room, unpacking.

'I'm surprised at how calm my dad is with you.' I say.

'Honestly? Me too. I know during your pregnancy he was never my biggest fan.' He replies.

'I'm not complaining, though. I want the two most important men in my life to get along.' I say, and he smiles at me.

We finish unpacking, before getting into bed, ready to sleep.

I'm scrolling through my phone, as is Aaron, when we hear a loud knock on the door.

'Zoey? It's your dad. I'm coming in, okay?' He says, opening the door, keeping a hand over his eyes.

I roll my eyes.

'Dad, you can look. We're fully clothed. We were literally about to sleep.' I say.

He's so dramatic.

'Oh.' He says, chuckling.

'I just wanted to talk to Aaron.' He says, to my confusion.

'What's up?' Aaron asks.

My dad sits on the sofa in the room, where Aaron, after quickly putting on a t-shirt, joins him.

'So Zoey told me you were looking for a job, now that you've graduated. I was really impressed with your resumé the last time you came to Stevens and Lido for an interview, and I'm looking for someone to join my team. If you want it, the job is yours.' My dad says to Aaron, who looks shocked.

'I don't know what to say...' Aaron says, speechless.

'Just have a think about it.' My dad says, before patting Aaron's shoulder and getting up to leave.

'Goodnight Zoey.' He says, leaving.

'Aaron?' I ask, as he doesn't look at me.

'I'm...gonna go take a walk.' He says, avoiding my gaze, before abruptly leaving.

What just happened?

_____