Part 31: Cry

Trigger Warning

Zoey narrates.

This week, I'm staying at my parents house, so I can spend some time with my family before I go into my nesting stage.

I'm nervous, and excited all at the same time, but I'm glad that I have such supportive friends and family. And Aaron. Aaron's been great.

After that passionate kiss we shared, we didn't talk about it. It's almost as if it didn't happen. But it was amazing. I just think Aaron wants me to make my own decision. But it's too much to think about now, especially as we're in such a good place, so I brush it off.

_____

The morning I decide to leave, I hug all of my friends, since I'll be gone for a few days, and will definitely miss them.

'I'll join you on Saturday, okay? Take care of my baby girl, be careful, take your vitamins, don't stand up all day, take lots of naps...' Aaron nervously starts to give me a list of instructions, and I take his hands in mine, to calm him down.

'Hey, I'll be fine. And you'll be joining me in a few days, so you can check on me then, okay?' I say, laughing.

He hugs me, and whispers into my ear.

'I love you.'

'I love you too.' I say, pulling away from the hug.

He rubs my bump, before I wave goodbye to everyone, and get into the taxi.

_____

I rest my head against the window of the car, as it starts to rain. Heavily. Its soothing. I begin to think about how happy I've been recently, as I look down at my bump, smiling.

I can't wait for what the future holds, and I can't wait to meet my baby girl. Our baby girl. I think about my last kiss with Aaron, and our turbulent relationship, up until now.

Through it all, he's been my rock. I think back to that conversation I had with Ana, about not wanting to settle. Truth is, with Aaron, I wouldn't be settling. He's perfect for me. I love him, so much. No one can handle me like he can. And I want this for our little family.

I think I'm going to tell Aaron how I feel...

It's then all a blur. All I remember seeing is the glaring lights of a truck coming towards the car, as the rain crashed down continuously, and I grab onto the seat in front of me, as the car swerves to the left to avoid the truck, and I feel the impact, as my head hits the window, and then.....

_____

I awake, opening my eyes slowly, blinded by the lights on the ceiling. I can hear...machines? Beeping...

'Zoey!'

I hear someone say my name, but I can't make out who. My head is pounding, and I feel like I can't move my hands.

'Zoey!'

I hear it again, but still can't register who's voice it is. With my eyes half open, I slowly start to move my hand, over to my stomach...but...I can't feel it...

I finally manage to open my eyes, as I see a nurse, well I assume it's a nurse from the blurry blue scrubs, helping to prop me upright.

I wince in pain, and still in a subconscious state, see a tall figure standing at the edge of the bed, his head in his hands.

Aaron?

'Aaron?' I say, quietly, confused.

He rushes over to my side, taking my weak hand in his.

'Zoey!' He says.

It sounds like he's crying. I can't think why. We've been so happy.

I take my free hand, and go to place it on my bump, but it feels...different...I move my hand around and suddenly feel paralysed. Like I can't feel anything. This really wakes me out of my trance, and suddenly I can see clearly again. I look down at my stomach, and then look up to see Aaron, who doesn't make eye contact with me.

I scream. I start to cry. I scream some more. I feel...helpless.

I lost our baby girl.

_____

I sit, lifeless, staring ahead. I've stopped crying. It's like I have no tears left in me. I don't know where Aaron went. I don't think he could bare to see me in the state that I was in. Or maybe he's mad at me.

I can't bring myself to move. Not moving my eyes once, I notice a nurse walk in, and following her are my mom and Aaron. The nurse comes over to me with a glass of water and some pills.

My mom walks over to the other side of the bed, opposite the nurse. She rubs my back.

'Zoey, sweetie, you need to take these pills.' My mom says, through tears.

I dash the glass out of the nurse's hand, as it smashes on to the floor, making my mom jump.

The nurse leaves, and my mom starts to clean the mess. Aaron finally walks over to me and sits on the edge of the bed, facing me. He takes my hands, and his soft touch feels comforting enough to make me finally look him in the eyes.

All I can see is hurt.

I hug him and dig my fingernails into his shirt, the embrace so tight, I never want to let go. And I cry in his arms.

And then I cry some more.

_____