Part 13: Like it's Our Last

Zoey narrates.

I stand, in shock, as my hands start to tremble.

'Zoey?' It's Aaron, the last person I needed to see right now.

'What are you doing here and what...' He looks down at the pregnancy test, I'd just dropped, which he'd picked up off the ground.

'Zoey?' Jillian calls, as she makes her way over, but it shocked to see Aaron.

I start to cry. Aaron pulls Jillian to the side. They talk for a couple of seconds, and Jillian nods, taking the test from Aaron, before leaving. Aaron takes my hand and leads me outside of the store. He takes me to an empty bench, and we sit. I'm still crying and shaking.

'Zoey? Hey, calm down.' He says, as I wrap my arms around him, in a tight hug. He reciprocates and embraces me, rubbing my back. He pulls away and wipes my tears.

'I...I think I might be pregnant.' I say, looking down, crying.

'Why didn't you tell me?' He asks.

'I was scared. I thought you'd be angry. I didn't know what to do.' I reply.

He lifts my chin up, and holds my face.

'I wish you had come to me, as soon as you thought so. Zoey, I could never be mad at you. This isn't your fault. Whatever happens, we'll get through it together.' He says.

I stare at him, and hold his face too.

'I don't deserve you.' I say, sniffing.

'I love you.' He replies.

'What if...' He cuts me off.

'Zoey. Let's go home and take the test.' He says, kissing my forehead.

_____

At home, I assume everyone has heard, as Aaron and I arrive and they all pretend to look busy. I tighten the hoodie around my head, not wanting to talk to anyone.

Jillian hands me the test, as she smiles at me, reassuringly. I head upstairs to my bedroom, as Aaron follows behind me.

'I'm waiting right here.' Aaron says, as I go into the bathroom. I have to wait a few minutes for the result, so I leave the test in the bathroom and come back to the bedroom. Aaron and I sit in complete silence for a few minutes, before I look at him and he goes into the bathroom to check.

I start to tremble again, as Aaron comes out, holding the test.

'It's negative.'

_____

As I sit there pondering what the hell just happened, Aaron comes over to sit beside me.

'Are you okay?' He asks.

'Yeah...I don't know...' I reply.

'Are you upset that it's negative?' He asks.

'No. Are you?' I respond.

'No.' He replies. I snuggle in close to him, as he snakes his arm around my waist.

'Do you think we should be?' I ask.

'I don't know. Zoey, we're so young. This was scary. I love you. So much. And I love us, and I am certain we are in it for the long run. But raising a child? We still have a whole life ahead of us. College, jobs, careers. This would have changed everything.' He says.

'Aaron. This whole scare has got me thinking...I'm not sure I'm where I want to be in my life right now.' I say.

He pulls away slightly.

'What do you mean?' He asks.

'Like, I love fashion. And I love being with you and my friends every day. But I'm not sure if I'm feeling college, you know?' I say.

'Wait..what?' He asks, confused.

'I'm not saying anything for sure, but I think I want to see the world a bit more. See what opportunities in fashion are out there?' I say.

He smiles at me.

'If that's what you want. But hey, no decisions have to be made right away. Summer's coming up you've got plenty of time to think while we're away.' He says, kissing the side of my head.

That night, I lay in Aaron's arms, as he sleeps, but I lie awake. All I can think is how unpredictable life can be. I literally thought I was about to become a mom.

What I hadn't told Aaron is that at his first 'Black Minds Matter' event, I'd met celebrity rapper Joey Badass, who told me to get in contact if I ever wanted to work with his stylist, you know, for the experience.

A few weeks ago, I contacted him, and he offered me paid work experience styling for him for the whole summer! It was the perfect opportunity for me to see experience celebrity fashion and styling.

I hadn't told Aaron. He had been offered a summer internship at my dad's workplace, Stevens and Lido, so we had planned to spend the summer together in my home town.

I didn't know how to tell him. He was so looking forward to this summer, mostly because we'd be together. But now, if I was to take Joey's job, I'd be travelling all over the country, and we'd be separated until next semester.

I sigh, looking at Aaron as he sleeps peacefully. I decide that I need to make a decision soon, but for now, I want to enjoy every moment with him, like it's our last.

_____