Part 14: Take a Break

Zoey narrates.

I'm talking with the girls at Titanium, trying to decide whether or not I should take up Joey Badass' offer for a summer job, touring the country with him, as a stylist.

'Zoey, I really think if you don't go you'll regret it.' Says Ana.

'But what if she goes and the time away from Aaron changes their relationship?' Questions Jazz.

I sigh, and go over to the bar for another drink. As I order, I feel a strong pair of arms wrap around my shoulders from behind me. I smile, and turn around. It's Aaron, of course. He kisses me.

'Sorry, I tried to come sooner, but got held up.' He says, as he continues kissing me, all over my face. I laugh.

'It's fine!' I say, as he pays for my drink, and we join everyone else.

'So, what has everyone else planned for the summer?' Nomi asks.

'Or am I going to be alone in the house with Ana and Javi?' She shudders.

'Well, I'm going out to Rodney's parents' beach house for a few weeks, Jazz and Doug are still deciding what to do, god knows what Vivek has planned with Heidi, Aaron's got his work experience...' They all nod, as Sky continues.

'And Zoey's touring the country with freaking Joey Badass...' She says nonchalantly, before Jazz pokes her and she realises what she revealed.

This is not the way I wanted Aaron to find out.

'Wait, what? Touring with Joey Badass?' Aaron says, confused.

'What, I didn't say that?! I meant...' Sky starts to reply, but I interrupt.

'Hey, it's fine. Aaron, can we get some fresh air?' I say, getting up and grabbing his hand.

'Sure?' He says, still confused.

_____

We walk slowly through campus, as Aaron asks me what's going on. I explain and he stops in his tracks.

'I think you should take the job.' He says.

I'm surprised, and he takes me to sit on a nearby bench.

'Zoey, I don't want to get in the way of you figuring out what you want to do.' He says, looking at me softly.

'But we'd be apart for the whole summer.' I say, sadly.

'Yeah, but there's FaceTime. And we'll call everyday. And text.' He says.

'But you were really looking forward to us being together...' I say.

'Yeah, but, if this is what you need to do, then we'll make it work. I promise.' He takes my hand and kisses it.

We walk back to the house in silence, not knowing what else to say, probably too sad to talk.

_____

The next couple weeks pass, as normal. Aaron and I didn't discuss the job any more. But we'd made our peace with the fact that we'd go our separate ways this summer, and hope for the best.

I'm packing my clothes into a few suitcases, when Aaron walks in to my room.

'Hey, Zoey.' He says.

'Oh hey, what are you doing here? I thought we weren't meeting until later?' I say, going over to him and giving him a soft kiss.

'I just wanted to see you sooner. You know, spend some more time with you.' He says, as I place my arms around his neck.

He leans in to kiss me and I reciprocate, as it goes from soft to more passionate. He lifts me up and I wrap my legs around him, as he carries me to the bed, and lifts my top off, so I'm in just my lace bra. He starts to kiss me, moving down by body, as I unbutton his shirt. He stops and moves back up to my face, staring into my eyes.

'What's wrong?' I say, smiling, but his face looks cold.

'Zoey. I can't do this.' He says, as I'm confused.

He moves from being over the top of me, to standing up.

'What do you mean, Aaron?' I ask, confused.

'I mean. I don't think I can wait for you, over this summer.' He replies.

'What...'

'Zoey, I thought I could get past you being away, and touring the country, but I don't think I can. I'm gonna miss you too much. I don't think I can make this work, you know.' He says, looking down.

'What? No, Aaron...' I get up from the bed, worriedly.

'No, Zoey. I can't. You're gonna be in completely different time zones, around loads of different guys...' I cut him off.

'So you're jealous? Insecure?' I say, questioningly.

'Okay, yeah, maybe I am. But that's not the point. Zoey, it's not gonna work, long distance. I know what I want, but clearly you don't. And if you need this time to figure out what you want then...' He talks, but I interrupt again.

'So that's it?' I say, tears brimming, as they start to fall silently down my face.

'I think we should take a break.' He says.

I look away from him.

'It's only for a while Zoey...' He starts to walk towards me, but I back up, still looking away.

'Just...go.' I whisper.

'Zoey...'

'Go, please' I say.

He grabs my arm as I resist his hold, but he finally gets me to face him. I stare at him, intently. He leans in and kisses my lips, as my tears fall onto his lips.

He pulls away, and looks at me one last time.

'I love you.' He says, before leaving. I run to lock the door, and fall to the ground, crying.

_____