Part 22: Make a Decision

Zoey narrates.

'Aaron?' I wait for his response.

'Zoey, I can't tell you what to do. If you want to go to Luca's kickback, then sure, go ahead.' He says.

I sense the annoyed tone in his voice, as he realises too.

'What I mean is, if you're ready to talk to Luca again, then so am I. I know how much you value your friendships.' He says, as he comes over to me, and kisses my forehead.

'No, I don't want to go. Luca said he needed space. So that's what I'm going to give him.' I say, looking up at him.

'Of course.Whatever you want.' He says, as he kisses me.

_____

The next day, I chill at home, since it's the weekend, whilst Aaron is out with Vivek and Doug.

I'm tidying around my bedroom, when I see my phone ring, and to my surprise, it's Joey. You know, Joey freaking Badass? I answer the phone.

'Hey, Joey! What's up?' I say, confused that he's calling.

'Nothing much, how are you?' He asks.

We have a quick, formal catch-up, before he asks me a question.

'So, I have an important question for you. I was really impressed with your work over the summer, kid. And I have a proposition. I'm going on another tour in a few weeks, and I want you to come with me. I want you to style me again, this time, on your own.' He says, as my eyes widen in shock.

'You want me....to style for you?! I...I don't know what to say....' I reply, though I'm very excited.

'It would mean you'd have to take the rest of the semester off...and I don't know how you feel about that. It's a big decision, so I want to give you time to think. But I do need an answer by tomorrow night.' He says.

'Oh wow...yeah, of course I'll think about it. Thank you! Honesty, thank you so much!' I say, gratefully, as our conversation comes to an end, and I worry about the decision I have to make.

_____

I'm determined to learn from my past mistakes and this time, tell Aaron about Joey's offer straight away. He arrives to see me, later that afternoon.

'Zoey?' I hear him call, as I run downstairs. I go straight over to him and wrap my arms around his waist, my head on his chest.

'Hey!' He says, stumbling back, but wrapping his arms around me too.

'Are you okay?' He asks.

'Huh? Yeah, I'm fine. I just really missed you today.' I say, pulling apart and smiling at him.

'How was your day?' I ask, as we go into the kitchen, where he sits and I start making some coffee, and he texts on his phone

'It was good.' He replies.

'Okay...Aaron, I need to tell you something.' I say, wearily.

'Sure.' He says, as he puts his phone down, and gives me his full attention.

'I had a call. From...from Joey. Joey Badass. He...he's going on tour again. And he wants me to be his stylist...again.' I say, as I look at Aaron, worriedly.

'Wow...' He says, as I quickly intercept.

'It would mean I'd have to take the semester off. But I'd catch up real quick, and I'd be styling on my own, this time. He said he was really impressed with my work, and....' Aaron stops me, as he comes over to me, and takes my hand in his.

'I'm proud of you.' He says, with a smile.

'I don't know what to do.' I whisper, looking into his eyes.

He leans in close to me and kisses me, deeply.

'Yes you do.' He whispers back.

'What about us?' I ask.

'We'll be fine. And I mean it this time.' He says, lightly.

I grab his face and kiss him, passionately, as though it's the last time I ever will. He reciprocates and lifts me up, as I wrap my legs around him and he carries me to the bedroom.

He drops me on the bed, and I pull off his shirt before he pulls of my top and starts kissing my neck and moving further down to my breasts. I pull him closer, and he takes off my bra, and continues. I start to unbuckle his belt and he pulls of his trousers, and so do I, laughing.

He gets on top of me and continues kissing me, but stops for a moment, to whisper in my ear.

'I love you.' He whispers, before looking straight into my eyes. I cup his face.

'I love you too.' I say.

And I really, really do.

_____