Part 37: Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Zoey narrates.

It's Saturday. I'm getting ready for my date with Marcus. It's actually quite exciting. I haven't been on a first date since my relationship with Aaron, and I missed the thrill of it!

I'm putting on my earrings to finish my look, before heading downstairs. As I reach the kitchen, I'm in shock when I see Aaron in the living room with Doug and Vivek.

'Guys, what's he doing here?!' I whisper to the girls, frustratedly.

'I don't know. Boys night. Again.' Jazz says, rolling her eyes.

I kind of didn't want Aaron to be here, out of sight means out of mind, but I guess I can't avoid it right now. I pour myself a glass of wine, as I wait for Marcus to arrive.

I'm talking to the girls when Aaron walks over.

'Looks like your boy is a no show, Zoey.' He says, nonchalantly, as he goes to the fridge for a drink.

I roll my eyes.

'He's probably just running late.' I say, annoyed.

Aaron shrugs his shoulders and leans against the kitchen counter as I glare at him. The girls sense the tension and leave us alone.

'Why are you even here? And how did you know I had a date tonight?' I ask, questioningly.

'I know everything about you, Zoey.' He says, as he starts to moves closer to me, and I edge back, before I can't anymore and he towers over me.

'I know exactly what you're trying to do. You're trying to make me jealous.' He says, and I laugh.

'I'm not trying anything. I really like Marcus. He's exciting.' I say, as Aaron steps back, evidently hurt.

I'm about to say something else, but turn around as I hear a knock at the door. Ana opens it, and invites Marcus in.

'Hey...' I say, from the kitchen, where I'm standing with Aaron.

I look at Aaron quickly before pushing him away from me, and retreating over to Marcus.

'Hey, Zoey.' He says, as he hugs me and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek.

'Should we go?' He asks, as I nod, and he takes my hand, leading me away, as I give Aaron one last glance before we leave.

_____

Marcus and I arrive at a beautiful, glamorous restaurant for our date. We are taken to our table and he pulls out the chair for me, as I smile and sit.

'Thank you.' I say.

'No problem. You look...stunning, by the way.' He says, as I laugh.

We order our food and continue to talk.

'So what are your plans...you know, for the future?' I ask, as I eat.

'Graduate, of course. But...I don't know...I think I want to travel the world, see what's out there. And maybe settle down...start a family...not any time soon though!' He says, laughing, as I smile faintly.

'Oh sorry! Did I say something wrong?' He asks, leaning forward, concerned.

'No! No, not at all!' I say, before changing the subject. It's like hearing him talk about this brings back too many memories...

I push it to the back of my mind and we spend the rest of the night laughing and getting to know each other.

'Come, I'll drop you home.' He says, wrapping his jacket around my shoulders, as we get ready to leave.

_____

He drops me back home, and comes inside with me.

'Oh, you're jacket...' I say.

'It's okay. You can keep it.' He says, smiling.

'Thank you. I had a lot of fun tonight.' I say.

'Me too. I hope we can do it again sometime?' He says, as I smile.

There's a pause, and I take a breath, as he leans down and kisses my lips softly. I kiss him back, and he leans into me further, the kiss deepening. He pulls away to look at me, and I smile, as though prompting him to continue.

He kisses me again, and I take his hand, leading him up to my bedroom.

We fall together on my bed, him on top of me, in a heated make out session, as I open my legs and wrap them around him, but as his hands wander my chest, and he starts to unbutton my blouse, revealing my bra, I pull away from the kiss, and stop him.

'Wait, wait...' I say, shaking my head.

'Hey...what's wrong?' He asks.

I'm still shaking my head, as I start to button up my top again.

'I...' I don't know what to say, since I'm not even sure why I stopped.

'Do you not want to do this? Zoey, there's no pressure...' He says, concerned.

'No...it's just....' I struggle to find the words.

He gets up off the bed and sighs, rubbing his forehead, as I look at him, waiting.

'It's Aaron, isn't it?' He asks, though rhetorically.

I look down, sadly.

'I'm sorry...' I say, frowning.

There's an awkward silence between us both, but he finally breaks it.

'Zoey, look. I really like you. Like really like you.' He says.

'I really like you too.' I say, standing up and going towards him, but he takes a step back.

'But look, if you still have feelings for your ex...I don't want to get in the way of that.' He says, as I look away, thinking.

'I'm gonna go. I'll see you in class.' He says, before coming over to me, lightly kissing my cheek, and then leaving, as I sit down, with my head in my hands, confused.

I just can't get Aaron out of my head.

_____