Peter Pan [Iggy] for superdork102

I've been faced with a lot of challenges in life. I had to watch as my mother's heart broke when my father walked out on us when I was five. I watched, but tried to stop, my best friend get taken away from me as we were walking home from school one day, never to be found again. I watched as people I once knew drift father and farther away till I was alone. I watched as time slowly went by and nothing happened. It was boring, dull, and unadventurous. I found no reason to wake up to the same routine everyday: opening my eyes, going to school, coming home, doing homework, and shutting my eyes once more.

Sometimes as I walked down the dirt road that lead to my house I wondered what it would be like to fly away. To see a new place. To be free. Sometimes I never wanted to open my eyes to a new day. I was much more amused with my dreams; the alternate reality, the make believe.

This was another one of those days when I was faced with a challenge. I was in science class when the teacher announced that we were to work on the next projects in groups of two. However, there was a catch: he was going to select the partners. Most of the students groaned in annoyance, I sat quietly at my desk, doodling in my notebook. "Fang and Kendra, Mark and Addy..." As the names went on I continued to draw. "Wendy and Iggy," he finally concluded. I finally looked up from my notebook at the teacher. My eyes then wandered over toward Iggy, who sat a row up and three seats to my right.

Iggy and his brother, Fang, had just moved to the area a week ago. The guy was blind, but smart none-the-less; sarcastic and enjoyed playing games. Last week he was caught in the boiler room with another boy in from the elementary school section stink bomb in hand. He acted as if he were not blind, walking around and engaging in everyday activities. It was very strange, but I said nothing, just observed the odd behavior. However, I soon found him dull and stopped, going back to my normal life. I was stupid to think that new students would make life more interesting. Don't get me wrong, the stink bomb was impressive, but nothing happened after that. Such false hope...

Students got up from their seats, moving around to join up with their newly assigned partners. I gathered my things, moving towards Iggy's desk, stopping in front of him. "Wendy?" he asked, slightly tilting his head towards me.

I nodded, but then remembered that he could not see. "Yes," I answered softly. His lips twitched at the corners.

"I'm Iggy, but you probably already know that." I was surprised when I felt the corners of my lips twitch.

Ignoring the expression I pulled up a chair, straddling it and resting my arms on the back. "What do you want to do this project on, Iggy?"

He cocked an eyebrow. "You're letting me decide?"

"I can't think of a topic."

The boy chuckled. "How about bombs?" My eyes widened, wondering if he was serious. "Explosions?"

"Are you for real?" I asked in wonder.

Iggy laughed lightly. "At the sound of your voice I'm guessing you're surprised."

"Uh... yeah..." I answered. "Are you... serious though...?"

He snickered, shaking his head. "No, I'm not. We'll think of something more practical. Any ideas?"

I sighed in response. "No... I'm at a loss for the moment..."

The bell rang. "I want the topic of your project and research found by Thursday. Dismissed," the teacher announced.

"So, what are we going to do?" Iggy asked, standing.

"What do you mean?" I asked, doing the same.