Twenty Six | Sound Familar?

A I S L I N G

I lay my head on the cold glass of the passenger seat window, the icy touch of it sort of calming. Considering the rest of me was bottled with anger at so many people, including the one next to me.

U2's  Miss Sarajevo plays on the radio. I notice as my leg moves and head sways a little, that Josephine is also tapping her finger against the steering wheel. I just love Bono's voice. The Irish band and the Italian Opera singer come together so perfectly in this song.

"You know Aisling, none of that between us was fake. You really were my best friend, it was like the longer it went on, the more I wanted to tell you. There were just so many things that scared me about it, he never wanted you to find out." She broke the silence that was just about reaching its 25 minute mark from when I told her I was in no mood to talk. Halfway through that she turned the radio on.

Best friends. Huh.

"So where does your lovely employer think you are now?" I'm still fucking pissed, though I am glad she didn't call me A again because I would've punched her. I'm just too mad right now, and I need time to calm down.

"Aisling, he's not my employer anymore. As I was trying to explain earlier, when I 'moved away for college' it was just a cover story. Truth is I called your father, I told him I couldn't do it anymore, and I just ran. Hoping he'd never come after me."

"I don't know how you ever expect me to believe a word you say again. You may think you know me but I never knew you at all."

"Come on Aisling that's a total load of bullshit. Think about it, someone bound to hiding the truth because of the fear of danger if they let it slip. So they only show people on the outside of that truth, a glimpse of who they are. It doesn't make that glimpse any less true. Sound familiar?" Did that actually just make sense to me? I sigh, just plainly conflicted.

"I apologize for being a hypocrite. I get what you're saying. Who I am just makes me cautious though, so just know I'll always take what you say with a grain of salt."

"Fair enough. I'm getting us somewhere safe. We'll stop soon to get some snacks and have a bathroom break, because I gotta pee. We can grab some burner phones if there's someone you wanna call? I don't know maybe like Nate, or Alessio?" She says the last name suggestively but I honestly don't want to hear anything from him right now. I will call Nate though, I miss him.

I simply grumble in response and turn my attention back to the fast passing scenery. I grab my go bag and go through the pockets randomly. I'm entirely surprised to find one of those old ass iPods that only let you play downloaded music.

I've always been obsessed with music so I guess it makes sense I'd pack this. The thing is, I don't remember when in my life I packed this so let's hope the music isn't terrible.

Curious, I turn it on and I gasp, holding back a laugh. I'm surprised it even has battery but I'm instantly thrown into remembrance of my emo phase. It was in middle/high school, right when my depression began to hit hard.

Destroying my hair with all sorts of colors. Outfits dark as night. Band tee's. Hot Topic.

I block the memory of the darkness that time held, not wanting any more depressing thoughts right now.

I wish I could laugh about all this with Josephine right now.

The first Album I see is Pierce the Veil's Collide with the Sky. I put in my earbuds and I played King for a Day, even better it's the version with Kellin Quinn's beautiful voice.

My head starts nodding with the music unconsciously and honestly, I resist the urge to belt out the words. Even young me had some good music taste.

Please, won't you push me for the last time?

Let's scream until there's nothing left...

So sick of playing, I don't want this anymore...

The thought of you is no fucking fun...

You want a martyr? I'll be one...

Because enough's enough, we're done...

You told me think about it, well I did...

Now I don't wanna feel a thing anymore...

I'm tired of begging for the things that I want...

I'm over sleeping like a dog on the floor...

I'm being shaken out of bliss. I pull out the earbuds and open my eyes to see we're at a Wal Mart.

"We're here." She states the obvious.

I grab some cash from my go bag, unbuckle, and hop out wordlessly. She gets out and locks the door. We walk in and she says she's going to the bathroom. I give her an unenthusiastic thumbs up and walk straight back to purchase a burner.

I pick out a phone and a minutes card, the clerk grabs it and checks me out swiftly.

Having that done, I make my way to the food. I choose a box of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, a bag of Cheeto puffs, and a couple bottles of water.

Still not having seen Josephine, I decide to wait at the car. I plop my bag on the roof of her black Audi and take out the burner phone box. I rip open the packaging, placing the minute card in the little black phone.

As soon as it flashes on, I make a call to Nate. After a few rings, he picks up.

"Hello?"

"Nate." I breathe out.

"Aisling? Are you okay?" He asks with worry.

"Yeah. I'm with Josephine. She's taking me somewhere safe."

"Good. I hope you don't mind I told her where you were. She confessed everything to me about working for Derry, I told her she had to come clean to you, she did tell you everything right?"

"Yeah. I'm fucking fuming Nate. Not only just that my best friend for 8 years is a fucking spy for Derry. Everyone in my life also thinks I'm talking to an FBI agent. I swear to you Nate, I didn't know he was. He's just someone from my high school class."

"Okay. I'll look into it. You, just worry about getting somewhere safe for now. I'll call you if I have any news."

"Okay, thanks. Love you Nate."

"Love you too A. I'll talk to you later."

The line goes dead and I wonder if there's someone else I should call...

No! I shake those thoughts and shove the phone back into the pocket of my leather jacket.

It's just me now... and I guess, Josephine.