Thirty | Pause

A I S L I N G

My heart feels like it's pounding out of my chest, I stare dazed by the familiar numbers on the tiny little screen. My finger tip hovers over the red but ultimately lands on the green.

I can't make words come out of my mouth. I simply hold it still against my ear waiting for him to speak.

"Aisling. I know it's you."

I'm sure you do since you called, dumbass.

But I freeze, just hearing his voice makes me weak. He's a presence constantly in my head, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get rid of him.

It's been a week since we'd last seen each other, a week since he left me in bliss thinking about a date, a week since I'd let the guard around my heart down.

A heart which is back to being locked up, pushed away, and chained to the darkness of my soul.

"What do you want?" My voice was cold and unwavering.

"I want to talk to you in person."

"Too bad, Italy is really out of my way." I quip.

"I'm in New York, Aisling." Shit.

Well I am dying to know how Alessio feels about this all. If he's asking to meet that's a good sign, right?

"Fine. Meet me at your apartment across from my old one, tonight at 9, come alone please." I added.

"See you tonight, dolcezza." He says mockingly and a pit in my stomach grew.

With that, the line went dead.

"You're not actually going to meet him right?" Josephine turned to me as soon as I dropped the phone.

"I am."

"Aisling, I know you have feelin—

"I don't have feelings for him." I lie. "Can you just drop it? I know what I'm doing."

Josephine only purses her lips and drops the subject to my relief.

Josephine and I have switched places now that we're back in New York. I am tiredly driving house to a safe house of my choosing after a seven hour flight. I decided to spring that on Josephine last minute only because I still don't fully trust her.

My father has always been one to think he can love through flashy expensive gifts and money. I've done well over the years, covertly returning things or selling them.

I've used that money to buy 2 different homes that nobody knows about. One in Seattle, because I have an unnecessary obsession with that city. The second is in Long Island.

So we head there to settle in and wait until we have to leave tonight to meet Alessio.

I'm hoping he'll show trust in me and come alone.

Your kidding yourself.

I don't know how I let myself fall so hard for this man. I find myself yearning to hear his calming voice.