Eight | Let me go

A I S L I N G

I sit at my desk staring in a zombie like daze at decor I was supposed to be shopping for online.

The most shuddering feeling about it being the bizarre sense that it actually belonged there. It's been two weeks since the momentous kiss I had with Alessio.

In my trying to forget about it, I've come to terms that that's all it will ever be, a moment in time that I won't forget, a memory that I will treasure deep down.

Most people who had been kissed by an all powerful, dominant, sexy mafia man would've ran for their life or swooned into his arms until they fell too hard and their heart was broken.

Me? I decided to take a whole different route. Friend zone the man!

I don't know if he knows I speak Italian, but for both our sake's I'm going to pretend I don't, what he said was just too much and I've been regretting ever learning Italian.

I know I don't deserve the world, and I know he doesn't mean that.

I stood firm on my decision of making sure we stay friends. I know it sounds crazy, maybe he's not interested in just being friends.

I need a friend though, someone, anyone that I can talk to about my crazy family.

Bottling everything up and never speaking of it is extremely taxing. The life I try to live is a lie, I hide a whole side of me from everyone because of who I am by blood.

You see, Alessio has been intent on keeping his word of updating me about things going on in my family's mafia. Most of it was useless information since I wasn't in the mafia but it was nice not being kept in the dark. Alessio made it clear when he kissed me that he liked me but I don't need or want love in my life, also I'm a particular person and Alessio is definitely not the man for me.

He is good company though, we get along well and we share a sense of humor like no other.

Over the past week as Alessio made many attempts to flirt with me, I constantly reminded him of how great a friend he was for doing all this.

I know I'm just a toy that he thinks he wants to play with but I won't let it happen, sooner or later he'll give up and move on to his next flavor of the month.

Things have been turning up in my life since getting back.

I decide to open up a small coffee shop in the city. I was walking around one day trying to figure out what I should do next and I passed the vacant space in a building near my apartment.

I had a few jobs as a barista in the past and I absolutely loved it, thats where I got the idea for a coffee shop. I purchased the space with money I had saved up and started to put it together.

In two weeks time I should be close to opening! My dad was absolutely thrilled at the idea and of course, wanted to help.

I let him purchase the machines since they were costly but I fully intend on paying him back every last dime once I open for business.

My own money has been tight since deciding to move forward with this venture, I'm positive it's all going to pay off in the end.

I begin to feel cold, so I get up from my desk with a sigh and grab the tv remote. I rummage through the living room closet and pull out a huge, soft fleece blanket.

I'm just about to plop down on the couch when my eyes widen as I catch a sight of something, or more like someone, that makes me do a double take.

I spot Alessio in the window of the apartment across from mine. Yep it's definitely him, He's staring me down with that frigid gaze of his. I run to the window and open it up.