Fourteen | Eviction

A I S L I N G

I woke up from my nightmare screaming. Good thing I don't have classes tomorrow, I've gotten no sleep. Deep breath in, deep breath out. Deep breath in, deep breath out. Just like Julie had taught me.

Julie was the personal counselor that my father hired after what happened. She counseled me for 4 years, then I had apparently made enough progress to end my sessions. I never saw her again. Maybe if I had gone back to her when I was struggling in my teenage years, I wouldn't have been so sad.

I used to have these nightmare flashbacks all the time, except before, the man would always end up killing my mom somehow. So it would just end with me standing before both their dead bodies, I would wake up screaming and crying.

Why am I suddenly having nightmares again? It took me a minute to realize I was sobbing. I've come such a long way to be happy and now I'm full fucking circle.

I hear a heavy knock on my door and I glance at the clock, 2:49 AM. Shit. I must've woken somebody up. I rush to the door, ready to apologize profusely for my screaming, but when I see a wide eyed and concerned Alessio, I freeze.

I didn't know he was even at his apartment tonight.

"What happened?" He speaks first.

"Uh, nothing to worry about, just a nightmare." He looks at me in disbelief.

"My window was open, you just started screaming loudly, out of nowhere. What was it?"

"Don't worry about it. I'm fine. Why was your window open? What were you doing?" I asked a little too accusingly, trying to change the subject. Considering it's freezing outside, you'd think he'd want the window closed.

"I was smoking."

"What?" Curiosity strikes me.

"I was smoking, dolcezza." He repeats, looking slightly annoyed. A small laugh escapes my lips.

"No, what were you smoking?" He looks to me curiously.

"Weed." He admits. I smile and grab my oversized sweatshirt, throwing it over my tank top and shorts.

"Okay, let's go." He laughs and raises an eyebrow.

"To where exactly?"

"Your apartment, to smoke?"

"How presumptuous of you."

"When I'm right, I'm right." He simply smiles and leads the way.

When I walked in, I realized I hadn't actually been inside here yet. The apartment was very minimalistic, extremely bare. A white couch sat in front of a round wooden coffee table, and a large flat screen attached to the wall.

He walks over to the windowsill where a tray lays with two rolled blunts and some excess weed.

He takes one and hands it to me as he pulls a lighter from his pocket. He lights his before lighting mine for me as his blunt is perched between his lips.

"Are we ever going to talk about what happened that day when the Russians came?" I took a hit from my blunt as he spoke.

I blew out the smoke as I shrugged. "Maybe. I don't really know."

"Okayyy. What happened with you and Dante yesterday night?"

"I met him in the kitchen. He was rude, I simply told him he needed to respect women. He didn't seem to care much, and then he oddly insisted on driving me home. It was very awkward. How'd I do with your family?"