Chapter Ten: The Showdown ~2 James

~James~

“Oh my God!” Leo trills the instant he saw me entering the huge doors. I was about to look around, see what the place looks like, but he was already embracing me so tight I didn’t breathe for six seconds. He lets go, and said, “I thought you guys were—“

“Thank you, Leo,” said Jimmy suddenly, pushing him away, and he was making his way to us, the newcomers. I finally saw what the others are doing—Ella and the girls were having tea (I was sure it was tea,) Camille was shaking hands with John, and Geno and the other boys were patting us on the back.

For a minute I realized how speechless I was. The place was awesome—it has a spacious common room, a staircase unlikely leading up to somewhere, and my other friends were here.

The doors were closed after Rolcene and Jet had closed the tall gates. Our classmates led us to the sofas, and our initial reaction was to slumber and stretch. I haven’t had fresh air and homey feel before these past few days.

The others began to blabber, and they were so happy to see us. I should’ve seen something like, hey, we’re lost, got behind you, and we’re here! but they made it feel like oh, look! The others that were supposed to be dead are now alive! Cheers!

One old woman came out of the kitchen, and she seems to be happy on seeing us. She had this kind aura, and I suddenly remembered one of the sisters in the orphanage. Ugh, not a good memory to savor when all I need to have was a positive vibes.

Behind her stood a familiar old man—maybe one of the old people I’ll never expect to see again.

Principal Guns marched towards us in welcome.

“Oh, I thought these kids are the only survivors,” he said like as-a-matter-of-fact. His eyes have never been kinder, and I was about to advise him to start shaving his face clean.

“Fierce kids don’t die easily,” John said, followed by cheers.

Hot and steaming foods were waiting for us at the dinner table. I asked if everyone before us had taken, and the principal said these are all ours. As soon as that shrimp soup’s aroma reached my nose, I was appetized and I immediately sat down.

Good food wasn’t something you’ll get easy these days, and Principal Guns, with obviously his wife, was looking at us together, smiling indistinctively at us like they we’re looking at small kids growing up and eating by themselves. Mmm, a good thought to bring.

After dinner, we all gathered at the common room near to the fireplace. I was betting it was dead-cold outside, and the fire was great. It wasn’t much, but its warmth was enough, I think. The others were busy playing board games Mrs. Guns took from somewhere, (I finally knew her name—Amelia,) and some were chatting. I chose to Indian-sit with John and Jimmy. The two were cracking corny jokes to each other endlessly like they haven’t seen each other in years.

I love this scene.

No matter how dangerous the outside world can be, there was these type of moments where the air was so peaceful; where the whole place convinces you you’re safe and sound; and where your other friends look so happy at least there was a time in our lives we can say we had some temporary peace.

There was no fear of Mr. Riggins saying we should be prepared for anything. In fact, he was talking to Mr. and Mrs. Guns like they do at school. Well—excluding Mrs. Guns—they just look like they were having a small chat about kids’ progress, about our grades, and about how we fought the infected.

When they were done, the two grown-ups were calling all our attentions. I know they had to include some bad news they had talked about, but I just think it was unnecessary, especially right now when we’re enjoying tranquility.

Mr. Riggins gave me a hard look, like they just had talked about how awful my grades were.

“Hey, children,” said Principal Guns.

“Honey,” Amelia interrupted suddenly. “I’ll just go to the kitchen, I’ll prepare meals for—“ she caught herself, “—you kids still have your other classmates or friends waiting for?”

No one spoke, and we all turned quiet. I wasn’t even sure if Jules and the others were alive.

Then Jimmy said, “Yes, We’re waiting for them. Thank you, Mrs. Guns.”

I was a bit astonished by his politeness, but I kept it to myself. Amelia smiled at him, and she went back to her station. Everything’s fine and Principal Guns was ready to speak.

Before we heard anything, more or less, we all heard the same thing from outside.

A honking of a truck—deep and loud.