Chapter Ten: The Showdown ~1 Jet

~Jet~

The zombies were getting lesser, but at the other side of the corridor were more. Mr. Riggins yelled for the key, and as someone opened the door, we started going loose. Some zombies got trampled.

Now we’re down to thirteen, we raced to the exits as zombies behind chased our backs. When all of us alive poured out of the door, everyone scattered.

“Close the doors!” Mr. Riggins demanded, but Miguel, Adrian and James stood still on the doorstep, trying to close the door, but there were so many zombies contradicting their force. It’s like they wanted freedom.

Cold morning breeze blew, and now I’m regretting I chose wearing thin clothing. The thin air smelled of burnt trees, and everyone scattered. I didn’t register everything on my mind because they were happening spontaneously—Adrian and Miguel pushing away James telling him ‘the others need him’ and they can handle those themselves; John ran away to the parking lot, and I noticed we’re in the biggest casino in Faber City.

The whole place was quiet, and it started to give me the creeps. After a minute, a white truck came out of one corner of the road, and at first I thought it was finally help!, but when I saw Rolcene triumphantly waving at its side, I knew who was driving it.

“Ride on!” John yelled. Everyone went except Perry, Adrian, and Miguel. They were still busy holding off the doors. I sat on the cargo with the others, but I was the one near the entrance and John had stopped next to the door with zombies pushing through.

“Sir! The door needs to be closed!” Perry said, wincing as if he’s holding a hot wall.

Mr. Riggins looked aghast. “Do it now!”

Then something happened unexpectedly.

“Miguel, Aid, go,” Perry said. His eyes weren’t glinting, and his face was stern and serious. “The others need you. I’ll follow.”

I heard Stanley yell, “Come on now, douchebags! We’re all gonna die if you don’t move you asses!”

Reluctantly, Miguel and Adrian left Perry alone. Although it seemed impossible, Perry did a good job himself—the door hadn’t opened at least an inch. He started to open some panels in the door’s doorknob, (which was the size of a palm,) and pressed something.

“Drive!” Stella shouted.

“Perry’s still there!” James argued.

We all bore our eyes to him. He was sweating due to the pressure we’re exerting on him now, but he still looked like he knew what he was doing.

He turned and said, “What are you waiting for? Drive! Get away now!”

After connecting a wire or two, the door started to close by itself, and Perry let it go. I felt a surge of relief seeing the zombies wail in disappointment as the door was close to a close.

And something went wrong.

The door whizzed, and the door finally broke fully open like Perry’s mouth as the undead rushed to him.