Chapter Nine: The First Prince ~1 Jules

~Jules~

            Noe, June, Perry and Rolcene were nagging Mr. Riggins.

            “Sir, we need to get out of here, now,” said Noe.

            “Yeah, we’ll get killed,” agreed June.

            Mr. Riggins snorted. “You students! We need to help your other classmates!”

            He’s right. Bridge nudged me, and gave me a thumbs-up—something I less needed in the moment. Anyway, we have a long way to here. We woke up fifteen minutes ago inside a cell with electrified bars. Because Mr. Riggins was with us, we hoped we can escape. At first, zombies came out of elevator doors and suddenly our cell bars go open.

            We fought about twelve zombies weaponless, as Mr. Riggins was cool enough to teach us basic Jujitsu—that even Perry had used to slam a zombie on the wall, crushing its head.

            After that undead horde, we encountered about three men wearing white overalls—the ones you’ll see that scientists are wearing when they make something. Before they can even taser one of us, Bridge, Rolcene and I had taken them off. I can’t imagine fighting without my sword, but I proved it when I kicked a head off a zombie’s neck.

            We trudged along security passes, and ended up on hiding on one control room. The control room obviously had panels and buttons that glow in different colors, and there are about ten flat screens that surely meant the whole place was planted with lots of spy cameras.

            No one had dared bother us in here, and still, we can’t find any signs of any of my friends and classmates from the camera screens. All we are seeing are armed men and some old hags wearing lab gowns that made them scary.

            “We still can’t find them,” Rolcene said, squinting on one screen. “Are you sure they’re here too?”

            Bridge answered, “Surely they’re here. We’re underground, and I fear there are buttons there to override systems.”

            “Wouldn’t overrides do good?” I asked him.

            “If you’re overriding a room control, it means you can turn off electric charges on the cells, but prisons here are too many,” said Bridge. “But when you override a system, one mistake can blow things up, and the surface wouldn’t even notice.”

            Then my insides melted like candle wax.

            If we die underground, there would be no signs that this place even got destroyed. We would be forgotten, and no one would even notice our disappearance.

            Then Perry had an idea.

            “What if we move from camera to camera?” Perry proposed. “Bridge said there are thousands of hidden cams here, so it means…we can see every cell out there?”

            For the first time, Rolcene agreed to him. “Yeah! That’s right!” How did you think of that? It’s…common.”

            “Whoa, thanks,” Perry answered sarcastically.

            Rolcene started to push buttons on the panel, and I wasn’t still sure if he knows what he’s doing. He seems to know what would happen if he moved those joysticks ninety degrees, or when he switched off that huge green switch.

            “Do you think they’re still alive, sir?” I asked Mr. Riggins, who was brushing his chin and was thinking nervously.

            “There won’t be any more reasons to keep them alive, if I were the terrorists,” he said frantically. “But if you want to prolong human torture, you’ll probably make every people believe they can still survive even though in reality there’s no more way to escape.”

            Then I turned to Bridge. “Wouldn’t your uncle kill you if he sees you helping us?”

            “I don’t care anymore,” he said.

            I swallowed, and suddenly, Rolcene trilled: “Hell! John and James are here!”

            All of us went to see the screen where Rolcene was pointing. Although the screen had gone black and white, I see two familiar faces with two men in white overalls. After two seconds, James was seen attacking one of the men in lab gowns.