Chapter Two: The Plan ~1 John

• Dedicated to St. Joseph 2012-2013

~John~

    "What the heck are you playing at, John?" Andrea lets go of her wrist, and looks sternly at me.

    "I'll tell you later, we need to hide!" I tell them.

    Another round of running past dead bodies, some are about to rise again, and do whatever their killer did to them. So on. After passing one rabid first year, we learned we need to somehow defend ourselves. James had the metal mop swung against the rabid first year we encountered, and its head crashed on the bushes nearby.

    Lucky we didn't run into the mob of dead teachers. How was it even possible? That the teachers--with no alive at all in the moment--were attacked? It raised the suspicion maybe (a very little chance) that woman wasn't really alone. Before sinking down on the silent Offices, we stopped for a while, and tried to see abhorrent things for ourselves.

    The teachers, with different sites of injuries in their bodies, started to chase screaming students who looked like they didn't know what will happen if one of those undead people reach and bite and kill them. As instantly, many students were taken down, with just a number of school staff.

    It was sick.

    James urged us to go, and the last thing I saw from the school grounds was a number of man-eating students as well. They seem infected, turning into like them. The panic-struck girls with us are so speechless James and I looked like we're carrying rag dolls, things that depended on our hold.

    Once on the hallway of Offices, we desperately tried opening about five doors on the halls, which is only permitted of use to the teachers. Unfortunately they were all locked, and that the door knobs, doors, and even the hall we were standing on is full of thick blood. There were even pink sediments that I tried to touch, which is just a piece of someone's flesh. Although I know myself they are fresh, those rotting pieces that will smell in a few days.

    A few days. I'm not even planning to stay here, nor even planning of going home, even if this phenomena brings chill to my spine. My family--my mother, tending my two little sisters... No, I try to erase the thought. They are safe, probably, and I need to stay alive.

    "It's all locked!" Den trills at us, trying to budge on knob.

    James turned to me. "What should we do?"

    I can only think of one thing. These Offices, from my past years, had a few stocks of food--we might stay out alive, even. Another interesting fact is that I even knew Principal Guns had a few guns in his Office. Real ones.

    I try to make out this plan of simple survival, as we were so afraid that one moment this hall will be flooded by the undead. And we will be like them. And one day we'll do the things, acrid things they do. And then some hero gets to kill us, and our dear life is gone.

    Of course, no one liked my plan--because it means one of us needs to trek his or her way back up to the guard house. One silver box beside the guard's counter holds all of the keys of all the buildings and locks of the school, bundled into one chain. That will surely get one of us killed.

    "No, we don't want to get any one more killed," says Rose, biting her nails.

    "Those keys must be an essential part of our lives," I tell them. Still, no one's convinced. So I run it on my fingers--and try to think of another plan. Maybe the key idea was so dangerous and unsure. What if some other students got the keys already? Probably those undead must be brainless for sure, as a flashback of them looking like stupid drunk people when they walk on the grounds was telling me so.