Chapter Eight: The Cure ~2 John

~John~            

               “Where in the dirty world are we?”

            There we are, thirty-five of us with Bridge, Jet, and Katie, standing before a small single-floor house I believe that can’t accommodate us all. If I am to stay here…then I’ll say no.

            “Where are we?” Rolcene asked again, and he held his rifle pointing to one of the windows. All four windows are shattered except for one, and he was aiming for the one still intact.

            Perry kept on looking everywhere. “Why aren’t the zombies coming here?”

            Noe and June trilled, “Oh! This might be a trap again!”

            James sighed on my side. “Did that Bridge make things better?”

            “I don’t know yet, buddy,” I said, tapping him.

            Before I see a zombie running towards here, (thank God he’s alone,) Bridge beckoned us inside.

            The house I’ve seen once in my dreams is here before me.

            A single door with a lock gives the entrance, and the house contains a small kitchen, single sofa, one flat bed made of stacked cartons by the corner, and one door smelled of human waste.

            “Sorry for that,” Bridge apologized. “They switched the plumbing off since the infection lasted here.”

            Suddenly the image of us going down the sewers flashed in my mind.

            We nod. Just to remind, there’s thirty-eight of us here, and the house looked like there’s room for only twenty people. My classmates touch and pick up everything they can see, and it made me feel embarrassed.

            When I felt uncomfortable enough, my eyes search for Bridge.

            I find him finding something from their floorboards.

            “The nerve, man!” I mused. “We can’t breathe here, and you’re still doing that cracks!”

            He glanced at me. “Wait, for a second,” he said. “We’re going underground.”

            Imagine you’ve seen Dexter’s laboratory for the first time. You’ll gasp, and feel utmost wonder. Make that base underground. That’s how it looked down here.

            Now I’m believing that some terrorist is doing evil things here. Aside from tall glass flasks full with green and purple chemicals, strange centrifuges, winding machines, I see huge cages that only contained about a hundred albino rats.

            Bridge told us not to touch anything, since he doesn’t know some of the apparatus here. I want to see this and that, but eventually, I find machines are for torture and chemical mixings.

            Jules stayed on one space with some of my classmates who can’t resist to see gruesome things, and I was with Jet, Leo, Gray, Jimmy, Geno, Prince, and Anee. To my surprise, Prince was able to identify some chemicals and organisms I haven’t seen before.

            “This one’s a tick from Ixodidae,” he says, looking some kind of a flea from a glass container.

            “What’s that for?” I asked him. He seems to know what that thing is for.